PDA

View Full Version : MDI - Insist on your iPod Cable!

JoseSpring
28-04-2009, 10:12 PM
If your car has the MDI, make sure your dealer gives you an iPod cable when you get the car.
My Golf is the GT which has the MDI as standard (as does the SE) but when the car was delivered there was no iPod cable. I queried this with the delivery guy and he said he'd ask about it back at the dealer's.
3 days later I'd heard nothing, so I called them up. The woman on the phone told me that the iPod cable doesn't come with the car, but they'd be happy to supply one for £64!
I checked vw.co.uk, which clearly states that the MDI comes with both USB and iPod cables. After contacting VW customer services they gave me a "Bulletin" number to give to the dealer. Soon as I did this, the dealership admitted their mistake and stuck one in the post.
It arrived today, and it's GREAT! Much better than the HDD with the RNS510 I have. Much more flexible, as it lets you use your playlist, artists, albums, podcasts or just play all songs randomly. The sound quality is excellent. Oh, and no more slowly copying song over on a 2GB SDD card.

Anyway, the moral of the story is to insist on your iPod cable if you have an SE or GT.

The Bulletin number is on my work PC, but I'll post it here tomorrow in case it helps anyone else.

Ozram
29-04-2009, 04:20 AM
Hi Jose,

I'm pretty sure it is an option only here in Oz. Do you know if it is just a USB to Ipod adapter cable that could be purchased at a general store or a special VW thing?

Thanks

james_tiger_woo
29-04-2009, 07:01 AM
Hmm - I've got a cable, but it doesn't work with my iPod - but then again, I'm changing the stereo for my (far superior) Clarion anyway...

JoseSpring
29-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi Jose,

I'm pretty sure it is an option only here in Oz. Do you know if it is just a USB to Ipod adapter cable that could be purchased at a general store or a special VW thing?

Thanks

Good point. I should have made it clear that this refers to the UK.
Unfortunately plugging a usb-to-iPod cable into the usb adapter doesn't work, except to charge the iPod. At least, this was my experience.

VictorPapa
29-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Anyway, the moral of the story is to insist on your iPod cable if you have an SE or GT.

Doubt it'll work for me...I opted for DAB so I don't think I get the MDI.

manic-vw
29-04-2009, 02:40 PM
If your car has the MDI, make sure your dealer gives you an iPod cable when you get the car.

The Bulletin number is on my work PC, but I'll post it here tomorrow in case it helps anyone else.
Hi Jose
please could you post the number, as it'll help lots of people as I am sure the ******** will do whatever to make a quick buck!:p

machine
29-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Hmm - I've got a cable, but it doesn't work with my iPod - but then again, I'm changing the stereo for my (far superior) Clarion anyway...

Sounds like you've got the USB one.

I emailed the dealer telling them (not asking) to send me one asap, arrived a few days later.

It does seem like they are holding them back deliberately.

JoseSpring
29-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Jose
please could you post the number, as it'll help lots of people as I am sure the ******** will do whatever to make a quick buck!:p
I will do, but unfortunately I forgot to grab it from my work pc today. I'll try my best to remember it tomorrow. Sorry to anyone that's waiting.

Griff449
29-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I mentioned to the dealer this issue and he said his dealership was aware of the cars coming out of the factory without the cable and had been given a box full to issue out to customers who ASKED for them at the time of collection.........

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc107/griffST3/CORRECTIPODCABLEFORGOLFcablepartno0.jpg

golfman2
04-05-2009, 07:00 PM
just tried to get the i pod connected with the usb cable that comes with the i pod but it will only chargethe i pod and a message in the radio says "media not supported",any ideas.will the cable from vw get over this problem?thanks.

nokiauk
04-05-2009, 07:20 PM
Yes it will, you do need the specific iPod cable

JoseSpring
04-05-2009, 07:48 PM
just tried to get the i pod connected with the usb cable that comes with the i pod but it will only chargethe i pod and a message in the radio says "media not supported",any ideas.will the cable from vw get over this problem?thanks.
It made the difference for me.

golfman2
04-05-2009, 07:57 PM
thanks,I will have to chase up the dealership because they haven't given me one.

golfman2
07-05-2009, 05:19 PM
phoned the dealer and the new cable was sent by post two days later,haven't tried it yet to see if everything is ok though,and don't know why I wasn't given the cable when I picked up the car.

machine
07-05-2009, 05:27 PM
and don't know why I wasn't given the cable when I picked up the car.

Looks like thet are trying to save every penny.

JoseSpring
23-08-2009, 11:42 PM
4 months late (on my part, not VW's), here is the reply I received from vw.co.uk, with the bulletin number in it, if you're still having probs:-

Good Morning,

Thank you for your recent email.

A multi device interface (MDI) is fitted to the new Golf as standard, allowing customers to connect USB players or iPods to the radio. Users can access menus, playlists and track details on both the radio screen and the
multifunction display behind the steering wheel.

The USB connection cable is fitted to the vehicle during production and cannot be exchanged or removed during the process. Volkswagen UK will also be supplying customers with an iPod cable as standard to improve customer satisfaction on delivery.

Cable supply
The iPod cable (part number 000 051 446 C) must be ordered by the Retailer and put in the vehicle before delivery, if your Retailer is unaware of this process please refer them to Volkswagen Desktop Bulletin - 0991-08

I hope this information helps

bongani
02-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi Guys

Just got my GTi in South Africa, Cape Town. The MDI connection is confusing me a bit. Where is is located in the vehicle. I can only find the aux line in.

My dealer told me that there is an ipod connection but allas I can not find it. Help!

p3asa
02-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Inside the armrest.

bongani
02-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Dam, i can only find the aux-line in there. There is a blanking panel the size of the MDI connector.... I think I have been had.... will give the dealer a call in the morning.

JoseSpring
02-09-2009, 10:30 PM
check your brochure/SA website before calling. in the uk one it was clear that the GT comes with the MDI connection. if yours is the same you should quote it to the dealer.
good luck.

Golfer Phil
16-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Just taken delivery of my new Golf Mk6 SE 1.6 Tdi today and thanks to the dealers Huddersfield Volkswagen an Ipod cable was given to me when I collected car. Although I have only driven it about 30 miles I think I am going to like it very much.

bongani
16-09-2009, 07:06 AM
The Ipod cable nor the MDI interface comes standard in the Gti in ZA. :(

After a long fight with the dealership and VWSA they will be fitting a Dension Gateway 100 for ipod connectivity. Car is going in on Friday for fitment.

shark_90
16-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Make sure they fit the correct one!

SebbyMK6
01-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry, wrong thread! :Blush:

VictorPapa
01-11-2009, 10:30 PM
check your brochure/SA website before calling. in the uk one it was clear that the GT comes with the MDI connection.

Not quite true....MDI not included if the DAB was a fitted option.