PDA

View Full Version : Automatic headlights

JonBuoy
28-04-2009, 03:45 PM
My Passat Sport comes fitted with automatic headlights which are great for tunnels or when the light starts to fail, but my gripe is that they also turn themselves on if I drive a bit too fast ;) and stay on until I've been driving slowly for quite a while. This seems like a big sign to the boys in blue to let them know that I've been naughty.

Because there's no dashboard warning light for the headlights, I'm the numpty driving around in broad daylight with my headlights on.

Does anyone know a way of keeping the automatic headlights for poor light conditions, but disabling the function when I'm going over 80mph?

Jon

ledburyloafer
28-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I'd be interested too, though I'll think you'll find that you need to be going well past the 80 mph to get them to activate!:burnout::D

Isoproturon
28-04-2009, 05:03 PM
The other problem is that they don't come on soon enough in poor visibility. I don't really use the function - much better to operate them manually.

johnloaderuk
28-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Personally I think it's a good idea to have headlights on, especially at speed - I'd rather do anything that helps others see me rather than not see me. Nothing numpty about being seen and safe.

If you don't like the idea of them coming on at speed the simple thing to do seems to be to turn them off - not sure if this overides the speed issue as I haven't tried it, but I'm happy enough to have them on at any speed, day, or of course, night.

Quatrelle
28-04-2009, 07:46 PM
They come automatically at approx. 85mph, 140km/h if the switch is on auto.

gamichea
28-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Personally I think it's a good idea to have headlights on, especially at speed - I'd rather do anything that helps others see me rather than not see me. Nothing numpty about being seen and safe.

If you don't like the idea of them coming on at speed the simple thing to do seems to be to turn them off - not sure if this overides the speed issue as I haven't tried it, but I'm happy enough to have them on at any speed, day, or of course, night.

x2

Spudrig
29-04-2009, 08:33 AM

I'll third that, I drive around a lot of the time during the day with my lights on too. I think that daytime running lights are going to mandatory for all new cars within the next few years. I think it is an EU legislation, but I'm not sure when it was passed or when it actually applies!

Dook
29-04-2009, 01:38 PM
The operation of the lights is covered in the owners manual ;) It does state that they will come on if you drive over 140kph, but in practice, they do allow you some leeway. If you get up to 140 briefly and then back down again, they will stay off, however if you stay over for a few minutes or so, then they will come on. If you power up to 150kph straightoff, they will come on immediately (or so I have been told *cough*). To get them to go off automatically again, you need to be driving around at less than 35kph (or so, can't remember the exact figure) for a good few minutes.

Personally, I really like being able to not think about it, so I have auto lights, auto wipers, auto dim mirror, DSG and cruise. I might not even need to turn the steering on the next car :biglaugh:

johnloaderuk
29-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Personally, I really like being able to not think about it, so I have auto lights, auto wipers, auto dim mirror, DSG and cruise. I might not even need to turn the steering on the next car :biglaugh:[/QUOTE]

I'm the same as Dook, the only thing I don't have is the DSG, I've not tried it but would like to.

Steering - who knows - it's already a VW option to park it for you "Park assist", apparently let go of the wheel and just operate the pedals, must take a bit of getting used to.

Isoproturon
29-04-2009, 07:05 PM
I think this culture of "not having to think about.." breeds an attitude of not needing to pay full attention to the road/weather conditions. As exhibited by the countless morons who drive around with fog lights on when the fog has cleared.

Quatrelle
29-04-2009, 07:28 PM
As exhibited by the countless morons who drive around with fog lights on when the fog has cleared.

How true.:mad: Why don't people turn them off when someone comes up behind them, even when it's foggy? I don't have to use mine very often, but I make sure mine go off immediately when I'm being followed.

Rear fogs are the one thing that someone really ought to devise a way of making automatic - or ban them altogether.

My mirror dips automatically when headlights shine on it, why can't rear fog lights go out when the same thing happens?

dunkley201
29-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I think this culture of "not having to think about.." breeds an attitude of not needing to pay full attention to the road/weather conditions. As exhibited by the countless morons who drive around with fog lights on when the fog has cleared.
You are soooooo right! One of my pet hates! (another? - must stop being a grumpy old man)

jonsey24
29-04-2009, 10:33 PM
This feature does work i tested it today they came on at 90mph

johnloaderuk
01-05-2009, 08:16 PM
This feature does work i tested it today they came on at 90mph

On a private road, of course - unless you have a very long drive leading up to your house.

bohoo
01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
lights on during daylight will not become law. (earlier reply). the reason this will not come into force is because it will reduce the effect a motorcycle has during daylight with its lights on

jonsey24
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I have a large driveway LOL

Spudrig
02-05-2009, 06:12 PM
lights on during daylight will not become law. (earlier reply). the reason this will not come into force is because it will reduce the effect a motorcycle has during daylight with its lights on

I didn't know that Bohoo, I thought it was becoming mandatory! I stand corrected :p But I can see where you are coming from with regard the motorcycle situation

Quatrelle
02-05-2009, 07:29 PM
It was tried here a while ago on a voluntary basis.

It was very popular for a couple of weeks and then the novelty wore off. People were leaving their lights on (those that don't have a warning) and getting a flat battery, environmentalists were moaning about the amount of extra fuel being used and thus the bigger dreaded carbon footprint, and then everyone else started moaning about the amount of fuel they were using.

French motorcyclists are also a lot more vocal....

mikecb1
03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
From what I've read in the media, Daytime Running Lights are set to be introduced in all new cars sold in the EEC from Feb 2011, under directive R48. See, for example, www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html).

Mike

Spudrig
03-05-2009, 10:39 AM
From what I've read in the media, Daytime Running Lights are set to be introduced in all new cars sold in the EEC from Feb 2011, under directive R48. See, for example, www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html (http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html).

Mike

That was my understanding of it Mike, i just wasn't sure of the date that it was going to be introduced

Quatrelle
03-05-2009, 01:11 PM
In September 2008 the European Commission adopted a proposal for a Directive....

That's my understanding of it. Until that directive becomes law, nothing changes. I'm guessing they will have to issue a Directive......?

The danger, as I see it, is that the cars without DRLs will then become invisible to people who don't bother to look carefully now - unless the law decrees dipped headlights.

sharantdi
03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
My Passat Sport comes fitted with automatic headlights which are great for tunnels or when the light starts to fail, but my gripe is that they also turn themselves on if I drive a bit too fast ;) and stay on until I've been driving slowly for quite a while. This seems like a big sign to the boys in blue to let them know that I've been naughty.

Because there's no dashboard warning light for the headlights, I'm the numpty driving around in broad daylight with my headlights on.

Does anyone know a way of keeping the automatic headlights for poor light conditions, but disabling the function when I'm going over 80mph?

Jon

I think that this could be solved with coding of rain light sensor...I havnt tried this yet but what happens if you dissable highway mode with VAG-COm...Any body tried this???

mikecb1
03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Quatrelle

It has been widely reported in the UK media that the directive has been issued, and DRLs will be complusory on new cars from 2011.

see: www.fleetnews.co.uk/FNE/story/?nID=46430 (http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/FNE/story/?nID=46430) for example.

Mike

Quatrelle
03-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Cheers Mike

I left my bike in the garage for a fortnight when they tried it over here.

The next thing will be that bikers will be riding on main beam as opposed to dipped.

Pity they don't issue a directive that everyone should have their eyes tested every two years...

mikecb1
03-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Incidentally, I see that another proposal being considered is to make bikes use yellow headlights, so that they won't be masked by cars running on DRLs.....:aargh4:

Mike

Spudrig
03-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Cheers Mike

Pity they don't issue a directive that everyone should have their eyes tested every two years...

:p I think that would solve quite a lot of road traffic issues!

Quatrelle
03-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I couldn't agree more.

Incidentally, I see that another proposal being considered is to make bikes use yellow headlights, so that they won't be masked by cars running on DRLs.....:aargh4:

Mike
Good grief, what clown thought that one up.

gamichea
03-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Good grief, what clown thought that one up.

Someone yearning for a return to the French style yellow headlamps of yore??