PDA

View Full Version : Drivers window mechanical fault!

Rogg
27-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi last night I opened the drivers window fine but when I tried to close it I heard a grinding noise and the window stuck 3/4 way up. I tried opening it again and then it opened fully and now you can move it up and down with your hands. Keeps dropping down when driving!. The electric motor is whirring away so there must be some mechanical bits in the door which have broken. Anyone else had this and how easy is it to repair/ cost and availability of bits??
Its a 51 plate 1.9 Tdi sport estate.

Many thanks
Rogg

eyegone
28-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Had the same problem on mine-- same year and model--- , it was the window regulator at fault, no problem with availability, but not cheap, be looking at 70 quid for the part, and 40-50 quid to fit it.

Dont want to be a doom and gloom merchant, but with mine when one went, the other was not too long to folow suit.

Eshrules
28-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi last night I opened the drivers window fine but when I tried to close it I heard a grinding noise and the window stuck 3/4 way up. I tried opening it again and then it opened fully and now you can move it up and down with your hands. Keeps dropping down when driving!. The electric motor is whirring away so there must be some mechanical bits in the door which have broken. Anyone else had this and how easy is it to repair/ cost and availability of bits??
Its a 51 plate 1.9 Tdi sport estate.

Many thanks
Rogg

Had the same problem on mine-- same year and model--- , it was the window regulator at fault, no problem with availability, but not cheap, be looking at 70 quid for the part, and 40-50 quid to fit it.

Dont want to be a doom and gloom merchant, but with mine when one went, the other was not too long to folow suit.

fault is definitley the regulator... BUT there are kits available on ebay that will fix this problem at a fraction of the cost... the trouble with main dealers is they do not just sell the part you need, but the entire kit....

there is a chap on ebay who sells a regulator kit for around £35/40....if you're ok with a spanner, no reason why this should present a problem for you...:)

eyegone
28-03-2007, 01:57 PM
Had mine done at an independant, not a *******, I did scan ebay at the time for the bits, and the cheapest i came up with was 70 notes, so i thought i had done ok.
Didnt fancy messing with the electrics on the drivers door, so just had to stump up the fitting charge, otherwise who knows what else may have to have been replaced :biglaugh:

Eshrules
28-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Had mine done at an independant, not a *******, I did scan ebay at the time for the bits, and the cheapest i came up with was 70 notes, so i thought i had done ok.
Didnt fancy messing with the electrics on the drivers door, so just had to stump up the fitting charge, otherwise who knows what else may have to have been replaced :biglaugh:

LOL fair enough, but a common mis-conception is that the entire window lifter assembly has to replaced... it doesnt. i do belive that it isnt actually the regulator that fails, but a plastic arm which makes up part of it.

the kits i have seen on ebay enable you to replace this arm, thus fixing the problem without having to either buy a whole new assembly, or involve a garage.....

Rogg
28-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Many thanks for your replies. I have taken off the door panel to have a look and discovered a chewed up, rusty multi stranded wire which I assume lifts the mechanism up and down. Have phoned the local VW dealer and the regulator comes in at £60 +vat. I will have a look on ebay as you suggest but intend trying to tackle the job this weekend. I am a little apprehensive about the door lock having to be removed though or is this reasonably straight forward?
I also have a problem with the rear screen wash wipe. I have read posts on the forum covering this and was prepared to attempt a fix as detailed by a couple of posts rather than pay the £70 odd for the complete motor assembly. However whilst on the phone to VW I have learned that they now do a repair kit for less than a £1 !! shock VW actually picking up on an increasingly common problem.
Anyway fingers crossed for the weekend!

guyg
28-03-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm facing this job shortly - two windows have packed up on my Passat and the dealer tells me I have to have the whole panel and regulator mechanism for each door.

I'm told the cheaper partial kits are only available for Golfs, so if anyone out there has obtained these for a Passat, please post how much and where from!

Whilst researching this topic, I did find this link which shows the entire job in detail:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1015107

I will be doing mine when I get a weekend off with some decent weather, so let us know how you get on...

Cheers

Guy

Rogg2
31-03-2007, 09:26 PM
This is related to my last post, re:- door window winder replacement. (Rogg)
Today I successfully replaced the window regulator, the window worked fine , connected up all the cables etc and put everything else back together, everything seemed fine, BUT when I shut the door with a satisfied smile on my face and then tried to open it again shock, horror I couldn't open it, either from the inside or out! after about an hour, by luck it seems the door opened. What on earth have I done??? Please help, is it something stupid I have overlooked? I followed the Haynes manuel and can't see what could be wrong, but any help is desperetly required.

Here's hopefully!!
Rogg

:aargh4:

Rogg
03-04-2007, 01:34 PM
Success! The job isn't that bad, but i had to get the whole regulator assembly £77 inc VAT. The only thing to be very careful with is the plastic hole in the lock mechanism for locating the rod which comes up through the top of the door. I broke mine and spent two hours trying to make a suitable fix! Also the plastic fasteners which hold the panel on break very easily. Lastly if you read my other post I couldnt open the door when I had finnished. luckily it did eventualy open but I have no idea how, or what I did after to rectify it? a complete mystery but everything is working fine now.

Best of luck Guy.

Rogg