PDA

View Full Version : Front fog light comes on with the indicators

james_tiger_woo
27-04-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't know if this is me, so I thought I'd ask here to see if it's just me and to see if it's a feature.

When the car is at low speed, when I put the indicator on, the lower foglight on that side comes on (right indicator turns on the right foglight).

Is it a feature - If it does, I can see that it might do that to light up the road - but should it?

james_tiger_woo
27-04-2009, 07:29 PM
I think I can insert a d'oh here:

http://media.vw.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=9589

Volkswagen is giving its customers considerable additional active safety and comfort with the new cornering light system. We all know the situation when you drive along country roads at night: as you wind through the curves, the cone of light illuminates everything but the road ahead. The road surface is in the dark for a moment and sometimes these are the decisive seconds that you need to avoid an accident.
Volkswagen is therefore now offering its customers the option of a new type of cornering light system. This system should help you see dangers in good time and thus make driving safer. These new headlights that follow the steering movements of the car allow you to see people and obstacles on the road and along the roadside in plenty of time. As you steer into the curve, the lights will have already illuminated the area that would normally be dark.
In fact, the new innovative cornering light system combines two lighting functions for the first time - a dynamic and a static component. Both functions improve road illumination considerably compared with conventional headlights. This applies both when you are driving around long, stretched curves and also when you are turning into narrow side roads.
In the dynamic cornering light system, the headlights follow the curve of the road and ensure optimum road illumination. The horizontally swivelling headlights are constantly adapted to the speed and the steering angle of the car. Essentially steered with the car, the headlight on the inside of the curve swivels up to 15 degrees and the headlight on the outside of the curve up to 7.5 degrees.
The static cornering light switches on an additional light when you turn off into narrow side roads, for example, at crossroads, and illuminates the outside of the curve area with a broad angle. It is switched on at a speed of 0 to 50 km/h and therefore works when the car is stationary and you turn the steering wheel towards full lock. This system is automatic and, as the lights are “dimmed on and off” slowly, they will not dazzle oncoming traffic.

peterrowdy
27-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I don't know if this is me, so I thought I'd ask here to see if it's just me and to see if it's a feature.

When the car is at low speed, when I put the indicator on, the lower foglight on that side comes on (right indicator turns on the right foglight).

Is it a feature - If it does, I can see that it might do that to light up the road - but should it?
Many thanks for this James. Had my new golf (GT TSi in steel grey) for just over a week now and am still trying to fathom out how the lights work. Firstly the same issue as you mention was puzzling me and also some front daylight lights that were on permanently when the car was running. Think I have been able to disable them though. What next ?

james_tiger_woo
28-04-2009, 09:40 AM
How did you disable the daytime lights? I didn't think you could.

I've got (lazily) the auto lights and that's confusing as they'll come on when it's even slightly dim....

machine
28-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Won't disabling the running lights mean a MOT fail come the time?

james_tiger_woo
28-04-2009, 10:51 AM
I fail to see why as the DRL are not the side, main or full lights - unless I'm mising something....

Ozram
28-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I fail to see the logic in turning off a safety feature just 'cos it doesn't look cool. Ask any bike rider about having your lights on in the daytime. Doesn't mean we've all turned into hat wearing Volvo drivers......;)

james_tiger_woo
28-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I understand the logic about bikers having DRL, but surely it's an option that I should be able to choose or not.

I'd probably leave it on at any rate, but I've often turned on my lights (main) when driving at any rate.

bilen123
28-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Dealer said to me that the lights 'on' was a feature that needs to be on for european regluations (to become law soon). Did not say when though

smithysmudger
28-04-2009, 07:20 PM
To disable, DRLs ensure the keys are in the ignition but switched off. Then push the indicator stick as far down and as far towards you as you can, hold this position, then switch on engine for 3 seconds and then switch off.
That's it no more annoying lights on during the day.
You can reactivate them if required via the same method but with the indicator stick up instead of down. ;)

james_tiger_woo
28-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks - how on earth do you know that?

JoseSpring
28-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Thanks - how on earth do you know that?
RTFM ;)
It's in the brochure!

james_tiger_woo
28-04-2009, 09:54 PM
Pah - I laugh in the face of reading the manuals! :)

JoseSpring
28-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Pah - I laugh in the face of reading the manuals! :)
So I noticed! :p
(Only jesting)

HHGTTG
28-04-2009, 10:25 PM
To disable, DRLs ensure the keys are in the ignition but switched off. Then push the indicator stick as far down and as far towards you as you can, hold this position, then switch on engine for 3 seconds and then switch off.
That's it no more annoying lights on during the day.
You can reactivate them if required via the same method but with the indicator stick up instead of down. ;)

I assume you mean "then switch on ignition for 3 secsonds" rather than actually starting the engine?

On another enthusiastics forum someone said in order to do this you need to make sure the lights selector switch is in the Auto lights "Off" position.

WeegieBob
29-04-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi Guys,

Now this is only my view, no direct criticism intended to anybody here - but why on earth would you turn off a safety feature?

I spent a career cutting people out of car crashes and at the speeds people drive, which are far too fast I didn't drive without my headlamps on during the day, even before I had daylight running lamps.

Think about it this way - is it cool to be maimed or even dead - I don't think so. Please think about this, they're not hurting anybody, in fact quite the reverse.

WeegieBob. ;)

james_tiger_woo
29-04-2009, 07:00 AM
In low light situations - fog, dusk, sunset, sunrise - I'll turn my lights on, I know that I want to do that so I do.

If it's such a safety feature, why isn't this mainstream even though it's not law? I won'be t disabling them, but if I want to, at least I know I can.

zf44
29-04-2009, 07:36 AM
New laws were introduced yesterday that all cars and small vans made from February 2011 onwards to be fitted with dedicated DRLs. Trucks and buses would follow in August 2012.

smithysmudger
29-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I assume you mean "then switch on ignition for 3 secsonds" rather than actually starting the engine?

Yes you are quite correct that is what I meant to type but my multi tasking capabilities are not the best. One eye on the tv and one on the keyboard more often than not leads to little errors. :biglaugh:
PS. I assume me mean seconds. :D

HHGTTG
29-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Yes you are quite correct that is what I meant to type but my multi tasking capabilities are not the best. One eye on the tv and one on the keyboard more often than not leads to little errors. :biglaugh:
PS. I assume me mean seconds. :D

Oh dear me! Do you know, I had to read through that several times before I realised the mistake I had made - it's easily done, isn't it?

However I was questioning your methodology and not your typos.
:D

smithysmudger
29-04-2009, 09:56 AM
For the record I have kept my DRLs enabled as that is my personnel preference.:approve:

james_tiger_woo
05-05-2009, 08:57 AM
I've disabled them - and then reenabled them - I kinda like them on :)

bilen123
05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
I switched them off using the procedure supplied

netherfield
05-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Not sure if I like the DRL's now,just today a guy pulled out of a side road in front of me,after remonstrated a little he pulled up and shouted back " well you flashed me to come out didn't you".
And also get people coming the other flashing at me,as if to say 'you left your lights on'.
It's not like the volvos,they just have the side lights on.

maisbitt
07-05-2009, 08:58 AM
The indicator stalk method seems to be a lot better than plugging into VAGCOM.

Getting a Scirocco in a week or 2 - will try this method out, hopefully it'll work for both the Scirocco and Golf.

james_tiger_woo
07-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Not sure if I like the DRL's now,just today a guy pulled out of a side road in front of me,after remonstrated a little he pulled up and shouted back " well you flashed me to come out didn't you".
And also get people coming the other flashing at me,as if to say 'you left your lights on'.
It's not like the volvos,they just have the side lights on.

You could argue that the highway code does say that a flash of the lights doesn't necessarily mean that you're letting him out - it would be his responsibility to ensure that he's pulling out in to traffic safely....

sgtbanjo
10-05-2009, 09:56 AM
You could argue that the highway code does say that a flash of the lights doesn't necessarily mean that you're letting him out - it would be his responsibility to ensure that he's pulling out in to traffic safely....

I agree, a flash of the lights simply means "I am here" The fact that some (most) people take it to mean, "you go first" would mean nothing from a legal standpoint should an incident end up in court.

Personally, I would always wait to see if the flashing car was slowing down and driver making eye contact before I pulled out.

james_tiger_woo
10-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I agree, a flash of the lights simply means "I am here" The fact that some (most) people take it to mean, "you go first" would mean nothing from a legal standpoint should an incident end up in court.

Personally, I would always wait to see if the flashing car was slowing down and driver making eye contact before I pulled out.

Eye contact is a must - I've caught my flashers before and prayed that noone took it as an "off you go then"....

netherfield
10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
I'll just have to be careful then,unless it's you guys,then I'll know I'm safe:D

HHGTTG
10-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I gave up flashing my lights at anyone years, well decades ago. It is one of the most misunderstood signals you can give on the road and does cause accidents.

In the halcyon days of motoring, when I owned a series of Austin Healey's of course then it was used as a means of recognition especially if you all belonged to the Austin Healey Club. Nowadays with 28 millions vehicles on the road it is a definite no, as far as I'm concerned.