PDA

View Full Version : Petrol or Diesel?

rufustfirefly
27-04-2009, 03:07 PM
I was saving the pennies for a 2.0T S-Line later in the year, as I didn't think I did enough mileage (<= 10000 pa) to have a diesel and offset the extra cost of fuel.
However, when I filled up yesterday, I notcied that diesel was actually about 1p cheaper than V-Power !!

When did that happen?
Is it a trend for the future or temporary?
Do I need to re-think and go diesel?

Help!!:confused:

Jop
27-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Massive no brainer this one.

Petrol, Always petrol.

TDI, sounds like a taxi.
unless you get automatic you'll be changing gears every half second until you reach road speed -- It red lines at about 12 revs. (ok, really about 4500)
diesel's stink,
they are oily and are sootchuckers.

anyone who disagrees is wrong.

2.0TFSI is a great engine, i would reccomend it to thrifty drivers and those that want a bit of punch.

Plife
27-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I did the maths for the 2.0T against the 3.0TDi and it just did not add up for me. The diesel is quicker but not worth the extra price tag.

For comparable performance you need to a lot of miles to offset the higher price tag or keep the car for a long time.

So it comes down to mileage and time you will keep the car!

A1287210
27-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I would say that the cut off for the choice between petrol or Diesel is more like 20,000 miles per annum.

A couple of points, people like the torquee element of diesel engines and going back to a petrol often sometimes feels a bit flat. Also, diesel engines are quieter than ever before (lets not kid ourselves nothing like a petrol) and when driven hard, rather than sounding like a tractor mine hisses as the turbo kicks in. A lot better than older TDI's.

Audi have also managed to get rid of the carbon dump, which usually covered the cars behind in a cloud of soot when you put your foot down...well done Audi!!!!

That combined with 600 miles easy from just over £50 worth of fuel.

I would have to say high performace diesel all the way, just wish I could have persuaded my boss to buy me the 3.0. The only time I wouldn't touch diesel with a bardge pole was if I bought a convertable.:D

onemanparty
27-04-2009, 04:12 PM

Petrol, Always petrol.

TDI, sounds like a taxi.
unless you get automatic you'll be changing gears every half second until you reach road speed -- It red lines at about 12 revs. (ok, really about 4500)
diesel's stink,

2.0TFSI is a great engine, i would reccomend it to thrifty drivers and those that want a bit of punch.

I think you still live in the 80's. Diesel is for White vans only :biglaugh:

Come on TDI engines are very good in performance and economy. I bet a 170PS would give you a run for your money!!!

Anyone doing over 20k per annum or more it should be diesel every time you will save money (FACT)

If not then yes Petrol is good in most cases.

ScottyUK
27-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Diesel is as slippery as **** and kills bikers! It's the devils fuel!! :zx11:

(not that I am biased at all) ;)

Audi Happy
27-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Diesel is as slippery as **** and kills bikers! It's the devils fuel!! :zx11:

(not that I am biased at all) ;)

It may be the Devils fuel but it keeps my money in my pockets and not in the tax mans.
But your right given free choice it's got to be Petrol.

ScottyUK
27-04-2009, 04:42 PM
To be honest, if people keep it in their tanks rather than brimming them and sloshing it out around the bends I'm not really bothered.

I did look at the 3.0TDI but given the low miles we do it didn't make sense plus of course i'd rather be a "petrol head" than a "diesel head" ;)

drmartin
27-04-2009, 08:39 PM

Petrol, Always petrol.

TDI, sounds like a taxi.
diesel's stink,

For me, a 50k per year driver, the TDI wins everytime! O and by the way the 170TDI can be tuned to 220bhp for about 120 quid, seriously out pull most things on the road, rev to 5.5k and return 52mpg... mine has covered about 7k in this config and my word it puts a smile on your face.. not your normal smelly, sooty tractor...;) just needs Quattro now, anybody know where I can get some badges? :p

bodger1961
27-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I did the maths for the 2.0T against the 3.0TDi and it just did not add up for me. The diesel is quicker but not worth the extra price tag.

For comparable performance you need to a lot of miles to offset the higher price tag or keep the car for a long time.

So it comes down to mileage and time you will keep the car!
If it is down to money get the 2.0tfsi petrol if money is no object get the 3.0tfsi or the 3.0td or even better thr RS4.

I drive a 3.0tdi q with all the bits but when a astra 2.0t vxr zooms past well:(

bohoo
27-04-2009, 09:02 PM
diesel may make the road slippy but petrol cuts the bitumen in the road causing potholes. spend extra go for diesel

martin@wolfy
28-04-2009, 04:35 PM
If it is down to money get the 2.0tfsi petrol if money is no object get the 3.0tfsi or the 3.0td or even better thr RS4.

I drive a 3.0tdi q with all the bits but when a astra 2.0t vxr zooms past well:(

Not sure why you would be worried about a Astra VXR going past you.

VXR 0-60 Is 6.2sec against your 0-60 of 6.1 to 6.3 (depending on model) sec and top speed VXR 152 Mph 3.0tdi 155 mph !!!!!!

wolfy!!!!

onemanparty
28-04-2009, 04:51 PM

VXR 0-60 Is 6.2sec against your 0-60 of 6.1 to 6.3 (depending on model) sec and top speed VXR 152 Mph 3.0tdi 155 mph !!!!!!

wolfy!!!!

The point really is the Vauxhall driver is a pratt, That why he went pass you at more than like 100mph+

bodger1961
28-04-2009, 05:57 PM

wolfy!!!!

Off the lights duel carriageway it went zoom past me it must be the weight of my cast iron arga engine, and mine is the 240 bhp:approve:

marynb
28-04-2009, 09:43 PM
The point really is the Vauxhall driver is a pratt, That why he went pass you at more than like 100mph+

bit harsh that pal.

gregpawley
29-04-2009, 02:52 AM
bit harsh that pal.

Totally agree, not into brand snobbery, if you have raced a car off the lights and he's beaten you must be due to one of two things, quicker car or quicker driver.

Looks like being beaten by quick Vauxhalls may become the norm, the new Insignia is having a 2.9 V6 diesel at 250HPish and a 2.8 V6 petrol at over 320HP. Just read in testing has already beaten the 8 min 35 sec barier for the Nurburgring, which puts it up with the fasted time posted for an Audi S5, or Audi TTS.

Audi A4 2.0T, Lava Grey, Piano black inserts, S Line Executive, Heated front seats, Bang & Olufsen, Telephone prep low, Parking Plus, Hill hold assist, Cruise control, Interior light package, Folding mirrors.

adamss24
29-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Totally agree, not into brand snobbery, if you have raced a car off the lights and he's beaten you must be due to one of two things, quicker car or quicker driver.

Looks like being beaten by quick Vauxhalls may become the norm, the new Insignia is having a 2.9 V6 diesel at 250HPish and a 2.8 V6 petrol at over 320HP. Just read in testing has already beaten the 8 min 35 sec barier for the Nurburgring, which puts it up with the fasted time posted for an Audi S5, or Audi TTS.

Audi A4 2.0T, Lava Grey, Piano black inserts, S Line Executive, Heated front seats, Bang & Olufsen, Telephone prep low, Parking Plus, Hill hold assist, Cruise control, Interior light package, Folding mirrors.

Vauxhall did not make a decent handling car since the lotus carlton ! Yeah i agree, anyone can make a fast car go in a straight line but what about the corners ? I have driven the signum 3.2 auto, lots off wheelspin and torquesteer ! Why put a big engine in a car if the chassys can't take-it ?In tenerife before X-mas, i had a Astra rental car with 30K miles on the clock wich was dreadfull, me wifes passat tdi would live it for dead in every occasion + it was scary and unstable at speeds over 130Km/h (80Mph +).

onemanparty
29-04-2009, 08:26 AM
bit harsh that pal.

Brand Snobbery :biglaugh:

I think you both miss the point. When I answered the question I did not know the A4 was racing the Astra of the lights!!! Personnel 3.0TDI Vs VRX - VRX should win off the lights it a lot lighter.

If I had a 3.0TDI I would not race an Astra anyway!!! ;) :D

kodkod.84
29-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Agree where was the brand snobbery in that statement? Could be Ferrari/BMW/Skoda overtaking the A4 3.0TDI, it was the driver he was getting at.

As an aside- how good looking is the Insignia Sport Tourer, everytime I see one I think 'surely that can't be a Vauxhall- it looks too smart' :D

martin@wolfy
29-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Agree where was the brand snobbery in that statement? Could be Ferrari/BMW/Skoda overtaking the A4 3.0TDI, it was the driver he was getting at.

As an aside- how good looking is the Insignia Sport Tourer, everytime I see one I think 'surely that can't be a Vauxhall- it looks too smart' :D

If you refer to my original question as to why would you be worried about an Astra i was not having a pop at the driver in fact far from it. I was merely pointing out the figures from both manufacturers which suggest that the 3.0tdi Audi is just as quick if not a little quicker from a standing start.

wolfy!!!

Hex69
29-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Vauxhall did not make a decent handling car since the lotus carlton ! Yeah i agree, anyone can make a fast car go in a straight line but what about the corners ? I have driven the signum 3.2 auto, lots off wheelspin and torquesteer ! Why put a big engine in a car if the chassys can't take-it ?In tenerife before X-mas, i had a Astra rental car with 30K miles on the clock wich was dreadfull, me wifes passat tdi would live it for dead in every occasion + it was scary and unstable at speeds over 130Km/h (80Mph +).

I give you the Monaro and the VXR8 saloon.

http://www.niot.net/niot_570/vauxhall%20monaro%20vxr8%20niot.net%201.jpg

http://www.wardvauxhall.com/images/newcars/large/vauxhall-vxr8.jpg
And yes, I know they are rebadged Holdens, but are still sold with a Vauxhall badge.

rich164h
29-04-2009, 11:34 AM
I can assure you that my previous VX220 and even more so the VXR220 I had (with it's adjustable ohlins suspension and semi-slick tyres) were good handling cars. Indeed "good" is huge understatement

Hex69
29-04-2009, 11:41 AM
I can assure you that my previous VX220 and even more so the VXR220 I had (with it's adjustable ohlins suspension and semi-slick tyres) were good handling cars. Indeed "good" is huge understatement

Good one, I'd forgotten the VX220, although it was a Lotus really :D

kodkod.84
29-04-2009, 12:49 PM
If you refer to my original question as to why would you be worried about an Astra i was not having a pop at the driver in fact far from it. I was merely pointing out the figures from both manufacturers which suggest that the 3.0tdi Audi is just as quick if not a little quicker from a standing start.

wolfy!!!

No I was referring to One Man Party calling the Vauxhall driver a pratt lol

onemanparty
29-04-2009, 05:32 PM
No I was referring to One Man Party calling the Vauxhall driver a pratt lol

My bad. But I better he was ;).

Brand Snobbery and all that

bodger1961
29-04-2009, 07:18 PM
bit harsh that pal.

All Legal no street racing here. Anyway had a look at the vauxhall VXR very nice and the new Insinia sports wagon superb, i hope Audi bring out something to rival it price and spec. I know the Audi offer a better build quality, but i still think they could include more as standard recession and all.

The A4 3.0tdi q nice motor wish i had gone for automatic got used to driving my old car with auto fantastic in traffic.:o

bodger1961
29-04-2009, 07:24 PM
For me, a 50k per year driver, the TDI wins everytime! O and by the way the 170TDI can be tuned to 220bhp for about 120 quid, seriously out pull most things on the road, rev to 5.5k and return 52mpg... mine has covered about 7k in this config and my word it puts a smile on your face.. not your normal smelly, sooty tractor...;) just needs Quattro now, anybody know where I can get some badges? :p

Thats cheap who is that with. Same kind of ummph to my 3.0tdi I presume ?. Any sort of warranty ?

adamss24
29-04-2009, 08:01 PM
I give you the Monaro and the VXR8 saloon.

http://www.niot.net/niot_570/vauxhall%20monaro%20vxr8%20niot.net%201.jpg

http://www.wardvauxhall.com/images/newcars/large/vauxhall-vxr8.jpg
And yes, I know they are rebadged Holdens, but are still sold with a Vauxhall badge.
I think you should do your homework mate ! The Monaro is a Holden(Australian made !) with a v8 chevvy engine in it on wich the Vauxhall just stuck a new badge and new plastic bumpers and they call it "OWN", and then the VXR, well, thats just an lotus elise with a calibra turbo engine WITH a bodykit ! You catch me drift ?!!! I meant that Vauxhall did not built a fricking decent handling car ( not borrow and call it theirs !) since the legendary Lotus(again not a Vauxhall !) CARLTON !

onemanparty
29-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I think you should do your homework mate ! The Monaro is a Holden(Australian made !) with a v8 chevvy engine in it on wich the Vauxhall just stuck a new badge and new plastic bumpers and they call it "OWN", and then the VXR, well, thats just an lotus elise with a calibra turbo engine WITH a bodykit ! You catch me drift ?!!! I meant that Vauxhall did not built a fricking decent handling car ( not borrow and call it theirs !) since the legendary Lotus(again not a Vauxhall !) CARLTON !

But it is a Vauxhall if they (GM) own them !!! :confused:

by the way Hex69 does say that he knows it's a Holden in his first post

drmartin
29-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Thats cheap who is that with. Same kind of ummph to my 3.0tdi I presume ?. Any sort of warranty ?

Have a look here... http://www.racechip.de/racechip-chiptuning/Audi-A5-3-0-TDI-3055-r.html

3.0TDi upto 300bhp and + 65nm for about 100 quid - simples!:beerchug:

gregpawley
29-04-2009, 11:10 PM
Well must agree if the VXR8 and VX220 are not Vauxhalls then we must be driving Skoda’s or Seats as lately that these brands have debuted the new floor plans and engines.

I have also owned Cavalier GSI and Omega 3.2, both handled fine and never had any problems with either, so the better Audi build quality is questionable when you look at all of threads stating issues we have with our current cars.

Just to throw a spanner into the works and get back to the petrol or diesel debate, soon I’m sure this will become obsolete.

Honda who I think build one of the most refined diesel engines have announced that the next range of models will be petrol or petrol/electric hybrid only. If there was an A4 with the 2.0 TFSi/electric hybrid giving greater torque then the 3.0TDI, acceleration equalling the S4 and MPG to rival the 143TDI I know what option I'd pick?

And before you all scoff and slate the Prius, we have one in car fleet, in a regular cross city run I do between sites without trying always get 50+MPG, yet in a A5 3.0TDI best achieved is around 34MPG, can get around 40MPG in a A4 143TDI and new Accord diesel.

rich164h
29-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I think you should do your homework mate ! The Monaro is a Holden(Australian made !) with a v8 chevvy engine in it on wich the Vauxhall just stuck a new badge and new plastic bumpers and they call it "OWN", and then the VXR, well, thats just an lotus elise with a calibra turbo engine WITH a bodykit !

Umm no I think you should do your homework. The VX220 may be assembled in the Lotus factory (on production lines paid for by Vauxhall - incidently that financial arrangment is probably the only reason why Lotus is still in existence today) but the only parts the VX has in common with the Elise are the aluminium tub, the windscreen and its wiper and some components of the brake system. Nothing else is shared. There's probably more shared parts betwen an Audi S3 and a Skoda Octavia but they're hardly the same thing are they?

And no the engine isn't the archaic 2.0 turbo from the calibra. It's the same as the one that's in the current VXR Astra (albeit with a different turbo bolted on).

Just because Mr Clarkson says they are "basically" the same, doesn't mean it's true. the same in philosophy, yes of course, they are both lightwieght, stripped out high performance two seater sports cars. But the same in terms of the nuts and bolt? no, not at all.