PDA

View Full Version : Climatronic - just how does it work?

abucksdiver
27-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Hi,
I've been searching, but not yet found the answer, so hope someone can help!

Had my Passat (2002 - 2.0 S estate) for about 6 weeks now, and the heater part of the Climatronic system seems to work fine.

However, having now had a couple of warmish days, I'm now not sure I understand how the Climatronic unit is supposed to work...

What do the AUTO and ECON buttons do?

AUTO seems to put the selected temperature up to 22 degrees, and ECON doesn't seem to do anything!

I've tried using the "cooler" button to bring the temp to "LO", and, on a couple of occasions, I've had an "Icey blast" for about 30 seconds, and then the air seems to "warm up" to about the same temp as the external air temp. The rest of the time, I just get "external ambient" air...

Is this indicating a possible fault (ie. the system needs re-gassing) or is this how its supposed to work?

Thanks
Andrew

cazyp
27-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Auto = set the temp and the climate will automatically keep your cabin at that temperature by either heating or cooling using aircon or external air and openning/shutting the external air intake.

Econ = set the temp you like and it will TRY and do the above without using the aircon - so less fuel is used :beerchug:. It wont be able to cool the cabin to lower than the external air temperature though.

HTH.

abucksdiver
27-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks...

I've noticed that if its on AUTO, and I drop the temp to "LO", the AUTO switches off... is this correct? Is 18 deg the lowest that AUTO can work to?

snapdragon
27-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks...

I've noticed that if its on AUTO, and I drop the temp to "LO", the AUTO switches off... is this correct? Is 18 deg the lowest that AUTO can work to?

Yes, because LO will try to make the cabin as cool as possible, so AUTO would be a contradiction.

abucksdiver
27-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes, because LO will try to make the cabin as cool as possible, so AUTO would be a contradiction.

Hmmm... maybe I need to pay more attention to the Climatronic settings... if I set it to low, but econ is on, then external ambient will be the lowest it can get too...

I'll do some more experiments with ECON and AUTO...

Thanks guys

MalcQV
27-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Hmmm... maybe I need to pay more attention to the Climatronic settings... if I set it to low, but econ is on, then external ambient will be the lowest it can get too...

I'll do some more experiments with ECON and AUTO...

Thanks guys

Yes that is correct. ECON simply means the compressor on the A/C is not used, it will do it's level best to cool to the set temp using external ambient only. It will of course heat the cabin up just as well as AUTO would.

snapdragon
28-04-2009, 09:28 AM
In LO, you can have ECON or (blank).
If blank, the A/C will run, if ECON it will not.
AUTO also automates the flap positions and fan speed, but LO overrides this with full fans, no heating, A/C if not on ECON.

Also, you see the small grilles on the front of the climate control? There is a tiny fan inside which sucks air in the right and expels it on the left after passing it over a temperature sensor, this can get clogged up with dust, so blast it out with compressed air, and when you hoover the car, suck on these grilles.

It's not the greatest climate control.

WesleyP
28-04-2009, 09:25 PM
May be not the greatest but it's a lot better than I had in my previous car, an E39 BMW 5 series! I think it's great.

ChillOut
01-05-2009, 06:17 PM
so blast it out with compressed air, and when you hoover the car, suck on these grilles.

It's not the greatest climate control.

I would advise against "blasting" - you might damage something, but for sure, give those grills a gentle hoover with a brush.

I'd say the climate control is pretty good actually - set mine to auto almost all the time. Some points:-

Auto only uses the A/C pump when it needs to, so is not an uneconmic as old on/off aircons.

It also uses A/C to control excess humidity, to keep your windows clear of mist, so use it all the time if you don't like living in a soggy place in winter ( or a summer like last year)

You must use A/C as least once a week or the pump can fail - don't ask me why, its just true - friend of mine is an eco warrior and did not use AC unless in dire need - he's bu$$ered two AC pumps now. Using Climate is more economical than having a window open and having the correct humidity and temp prevents drowsiness and falling asleep accidents, not to mention keeping the mist off the windows also adding to safety.

WesleyP
02-05-2009, 10:12 AM
The seals dry out and can eventually fail in the compressor if not used regularly. I presume leaving Climatronic in Auto will always ensure that the compressor runs regularly?

ChillOut
02-05-2009, 02:08 PM
The seals dry out and can eventually fail in the compressor if not used regularly. I presume leaving Climatronic in Auto will always ensure that the compressor runs regularly?

Yes absoluetly - in summer when you start up because the car is hot, in winter the same because its damp.

By the way, I tried a 600 mile road trip with and without "ECON" selected on each leg. Totally unscientific, but I could not detect any noticeable economy difference, but the non-ECON leg was stuffy and noticeably less pleasent, so for my money, ECON is a redundant function.