PDA

View Full Version : Does your oil light go out before engine start?

Alas
26-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Is it normal for the low oil pressure warning light to switch off after the instruments do their power up self-test, when the engine is not running?

Surely if the engine is not running, the low pressure light should stay on?:confused:

I only realised my one does this after deliberatly not starting the engine after the glowplug light had gone out (1.9 TDi).

I checked the pressure switch on the oil filter block (next to the oil temperature sender), and this seems ok (short to earth at high pressure, floating at low/zero pressure), but cannot get the warning light to come on (except during the self test).

Anyone else seen this?

I imagine that a lot of people have not checked for this fault, as everything would appear normal, ie turn ignition key, lights do their self check, start engine, no warning lights so all must be ok....

(Hopefully someone knows a cure for this??):1zhelp:

onzarob
26-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Mine goes out before startup, I wouldlike to say that because the car has an ECU that this would be normal, unlike older cars where the oil pressure light is controlled directly by switch.

Rob:D

Alas
26-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, thats what I thought at first, clever Audi, it knows the engine is not turning, so no oil light. Thats why I tryed to get the oil light to come on with the engine running, by disconnecting the wire to the switch....still no light...

onzarob
26-03-2007, 09:50 PM
I havn't looked at the wiring for the Audi closley, but my Golf MK1 Cab had anoil pressure switch in the head and on the oil filter. So I would ssume that the Audi would have the same setup.

How did you test it? By shorting one to ground?

Alas
26-03-2007, 10:04 PM
The switch goes shortcircuit to ground at high pressure, and open circuit/floating at low/zero pressure, so I disconnected the wire while the engine was running....