PDA

View Full Version : Golf 1.9 GT TDi mk4 - power surge and then nothing

GolfPro
07-01-2006, 07:30 PM
HI everyone,
My name is Dan. I've been reading your forums recently as I've been experiencing a problem with my Golf. I've only just got it, in November, and although I am really pleased with it ( having never owned one before ) I am thinking there may be a problem with regards to the acceleration. My previous car was a petrol, so put the rapid acceleration down to turbo lag, but I'm starting to think it may be a bit more.
The car will struggle to start off and then a surge of power up to around 2500rpm, it then stops and flattens out and surges again upto around 3500rpm and flattens out again. The only way I can get a smooth acceleration is to do it very slowly or practically put my foot to the floor (which of course is not always a good idea not matter how much fun it can be, as it can't help fuel consumption which s the reason for getting the car in the first place). Other than that, it runs fine. Fuel economy wise, I'm getting 500 miles out of a tank.
Having read through some of your forums, the MAF has been commented on a few times, could this be a problem here? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Dan

stuart
07-01-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi, thanks for joining:)

I would say that the symptoms you state sound like it could be the MAF at fault, so I would look at that first.

Stuart

GolfPro
07-01-2006, 10:30 PM
Stuart,
Many thanks for getting back to me so fast. I'll look into it and let you know how it goes.
Regards,
Dan

stuart
07-01-2006, 10:34 PM
No problem

Stuart

GolfPro
16-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi Stuart,
Thank you, I managed to clean the MAF over the weekend and it has made a big difference. I managed to get all the tools from the usual car accessory shop for about £12, so I'm really happy.
Many thanks again.
Dan

GolfPro
17-01-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi All,
GolfPro here again. Apparently I spoke too soon! During a lengthy journey home last night I lost all power of acceleration. I still pick up speed, just VERY slowly! Even got overtaken by a Fiat Cinquecento going uphill!!!?? Very embarassing!!
I've just tried disconnecting the MAF connector and it seems to drive similar to how it did last night. Strangley, when i drove to work this morning, power was restored for about 20 minutes before it cut off again. Would this be typical of a failing MAF?
Thanks.
Dan

PaulC747
18-01-2006, 08:11 PM
I have an Audi 80 with the 1Z engine 1.9 TDI When I accelerate it feels like the brakes are on it will then clear and all seems normal . I am also constantly getting a yellow fault light on looks like f/pump shape , it cancels out when I touch the brake , its OK for a couple of miles and then comes on again.I have cleaned the MAF sensor and changed a very dirty clogged up air filter. Any Ideas anyone.

epic andy
28-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Hi All,
GolfPro here again. Apparently I spoke too soon! During a lengthy journey home last night I lost all power of acceleration. I still pick up speed, just VERY slowly! Even got overtaken by a Fiat Cinquecento going uphill!!!?? Very embarassing!!
I've just tried disconnecting the MAF connector and it seems to drive similar to how it did last night. Strangley, when i drove to work this morning, power was restored for about 20 minutes before it cut off again. Would this be typical of a failing MAF?
Thanks.
Dan

Hi Golf Pro, l was told by a VW mechanic that if you remove the MAF and put it in a sauce pan of boiling water then replace it performance will be restored, as the connection is reconnected. Unfortunatley when you switch off the engine the connection is lost, but it is a good fault diagnostic test to eliminate or proove the MAF.
Andy.

mojogoes
16-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi there guy's ,

Even if you clean the maf it may give a reasonable response afterwards but a new maf will have to be used in most cases as for boiling them in water when the intake system has parts in place to repel water from maf plus turbo , do so would be just about the worst thing one could do.

747.........your problem soulds like you could have a boost leak = ( over boosting ) may be in the small vacum lines that go to and from the n75 valve and the actuator and intake manifold etc , if your car small quite badly i would say its the larger boost pipes that are going to and from the turbo/intercooler/intake.

The small vacum pipe are quite hard to detect if a small slit is actually there so its common to have all these line's changed for new items and a new maf sensor plus a n75 valve which is the valve that sits on the left hand inside of the wing left of the maf , this valve should have 3 of these small vaum line fitted to it colour blue,red,and black.

Sorry on my part the n75 and m18 valves on the mk4 tdi's are at the back top of the engine bay bulkhead , i quoted a mk3 golf setup as mine is.

Hope this helps.

PaulC747
16-02-2006, 02:26 PM
:beerchug:
Hi there guy's ,

Even if you clean the maf it may give a reasonable response afterwards but a new maf will have to be used in most cases as for boiling them in water when the intake system has parts in place to repel water from maf plus turbo , do so would be just about the worst thing one could do.

747.........your problem soulds like you could have a boost leak = ( over boosting ) may be in the small vacum lines that go to and from the n75 valve and the actuator and intake manifold etc , if your car small quite badly i would say its the larger boost pipes that are going to and from the turbo/intercooler/intake.

The small vacum pipe are quite hard to detect if a small slit is actually there so its common to have all these line's changed for new items and a new maf sensor plus a n75 valve which is the valve that sits on the left hand inside of the wing left of the maf , this valve should have 3 of these small vaum line fitted to it colour blue,red,and black.

Sorry on my part the n75 and m18 valves on the mk4 tdi's are at the back top of the engine bay bulkhead , i quoted a mk3 golf setup as mine is.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for that I have cleaned the MAF It seems not to have altered too much I still get the orange fuel pump fault light , but when I touch the brake ,the light cancells out. I also found that the fuel from Tesco seems to give me more erratic engine responses. Im using the fuel up thats in the tank and will fill up with major brand , will report back.I will also check all hoses . Thanx.

mojogoes
16-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Deleted by Mojogoes!!!

mojogoes
16-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Does your car seem to smoke more than it should if so like i have said check your ic pipes and tell me when did you last have a maf put on ?? , if you have never put one on in the last 2/3 years..............if you did obtain a new maf you would see a big difference in the way of drive ability and performance!!!.

P.S.........put a new maf on " tomorrow yesterday today NOW"

GolfPro
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
HI everyone,
My name is Dan. I've been reading your forums recently as I've been experiencing a problem with my Golf. I've only just got it, in November, and although I am really pleased with it ( having never owned one before ) I am thinking there may be a problem with regards to the acceleration. My previous car was a petrol, so put the rapid acceleration down to turbo lag, but I'm starting to think it may be a bit more.
The car will struggle to start off and then a surge of power up to around 2500rpm, it then stops and flattens out and surges again upto around 3500rpm and flattens out again. The only way I can get a smooth acceleration is to do it very slowly or practically put my foot to the floor (which of course is not always a good idea not matter how much fun it can be, as it can't help fuel consumption which s the reason for getting the car in the first place). Other than that, it runs fine. Fuel economy wise, I'm getting 500 miles out of a tank.
Having read through some of your forums, the MAF has been commented on a few times, could this be a problem here? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Dan
Hi
Have just got back from my local garage ( Willow Road Garage, Yaxley, Peterborough, Cambs, PE7 3HT ; 01733 242830 ). Finally got round to having someone look at it. I won't use anyone else now as these guys have been fantastic. Very helpful and more importantly honest. If you are local, look these guys up, they're good!
They thankfully said the problem was not the turbo, but tracked it back to, you guessed it, the MAF and also the boost pressure valve. Although he did say that the boost pressure valve was causing 70% of the problem. He said to take it for a spin before settling up, to make sure I was happy. Oh my God:aargh4: . What a difference! It was like driving a new car. The total came to £160 (inc vat and labour).
Just thought you would like to know.
Thanks to everyone for their input and help. I'm a complete novice when it comes to cars, but it's been an education. Thanks again.
GolfPro :biglaugh:

mojogoes
01-06-2006, 08:14 PM
I think what we all should do is a load of us drive down to our local vw/audi Steelaship (draw from a hat which one) and form an audibly que out side the parts department , lets say 200 or so of use and one by one as where obtaining our new maf sensors and handing over our hard earned lolly then ask "do you get a lot of these going down and people asking for them"..................which he will reply "no sir your only the 2nd or 3rd person this year".........................YEH RIGHT!!!........i swear he will :zx11: :aargh4: :biglaugh: .

AshD09
01-02-2010, 02:54 PM
HI everyone,
Many thanks.
Dan
hi im ash, have i have read your problem that you have, i have experianced the same problem, and found that my injectors needed replacing, and i also have to send my turbo off for a recondition. hope this helps.

pon
01-02-2010, 04:24 PM
After 29 Months I would hope they have fixed it;)

tdigolf
03-02-2010, 05:28 PM
how did you know the injectors needed doing?