PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove the stereo? And what adapters do I need?

james_tiger_woo
26-04-2009, 09:38 PM
As the title - how does the stereo come out - I've tried prying the fascia off, but it seems pretty wedged on......

Also, does anyone know which adapters (CAN-BUS, etc) I'll need to put in my Clarion stereo?

Robb247
27-04-2009, 03:08 AM
I have installed my own alpine system ,sub etc, into my golf mk6 and found the adapters and fascia trims to be the same as on my mark 6.
so im guessing that if you by a VW/Clarion ISO adapter for a mark 5 that will do the trick.

The fascia trim around the factory fit unit is the first piece you need to remove, it does seem hard to remove but can be done, i used a plastic ice scraper that had been smoothed down using fine sandpaper so as not to mark the dash then gently worked round pooping each clip starting from the bottom up.
after this point it should be quite easy to see whats next.

all togeather it was a much easyer job than on my mk 5.:approve:

james_tiger_woo
27-04-2009, 05:46 AM
I've got all the bits from my Passat (B6) so I wonder if they'll work....

Have you got any photos of your installation?

james_tiger_woo
27-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Does the trim come off from the sides? I don't want to force it off if it won't come off...

Robb247
27-04-2009, 01:32 PM
sorry dont have any pics from when i was doing it.

the trim will come off, but you need to use something wide leaver it off, the clips are hard to un pop but as soon as one has gone the others will follow.

if you want a picture of it finished i can take one.

james_tiger_woo
27-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I'd love to see a finished picture - have you got steering controls by the way & do they work with your stereo?

Robb247
27-04-2009, 07:01 PM
ill sort out a picture.

no steering wheel controls as of yet, im waiting on some info from my local audio shop.

james_tiger_woo
28-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I looked last night and my adapters (CANBUS, facia, etc) all say they're for a Golf Mk5 (as opposed to the Passat they were in) - so maybe they'll all fit.

However - this morning I tried to pry off the facia trim with my work's swipe card and succeeded in wrecking it (fortunately I didn't use my Visa cards) - is there anything I ought to be aware of before I try to force it?

james_tiger_woo
04-05-2009, 11:37 AM
ill sort out a picture.

no steering wheel controls as of yet, im waiting on some info from my local audio shop.

Hi,

Which Aerial adapter did you use & where did you get it from?

JTW

edmoo
04-05-2009, 12:46 PM
As the title - how does the stereo come out - I've tried prying the fascia off, but it seems pretty wedged on......

Also, does anyone know which adapters (CAN-BUS, etc) I'll need to put in my Clarion stereo?
Hi there there are spring clips on the each side of the stereo you need to insert a tool made from a hacksaw blade down the side this will unlock the anti theft device when youve done one sie pull the blade out and do the other side. also remember if you totaly disconect the radio MAKE SURE yove got the RADIO CODE to put back in when you re install it. hope thi info was ok for you. best rgs edmoo

james_tiger_woo
04-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I had the fascia off and the stereo out a few days ago (pics to follow soon) so I'm ok with the "slight force" required to "pop" it off.

What I need to know is which FAKRA adapter I need.

And I think I've got the code - I'll check as I have a horrible feeling I've forgotten the code for my Clarion stereo...