PDA

View Full Version : S3 - To buy or not to buy??

twisty200
26-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi all, a question and some advice required. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 S3 (210 bhp) for approx £5.5k - £6k. Its generally tidy externally, done 60k miles. The problem is the interior is quite tatty. The seats need a good clean and some bits of the dash are broken or damaged, and some parts are missing. Also the electric seat on drivers side doesn't work.

I'm into detailing cars and quite fancy something I can tidy up if I can get it for the right price and the S3 seems to be a good solid car mechanically and fits the bill for what I'm after (Basically a quick small hatch). My budget is up to £10k really but this obviously would be some way under that and allow some funds for tidying up (The other thing is availability of all the parts - Could I get them from Ebay or breakers?) So the quetion is should I take a flyer on this car or buy one that's already tidier etc? Or should I just blow my budget and get a Mk 4 Golf R32??

Cheers

Crasher
26-04-2009, 08:16 PM
60K and tatty seats! Come on, it’s an Audi. That has to have been massaged, surely? What proof of mileage is there?

onzarob
26-04-2009, 08:31 PM
My Audi had 150K on the clock and the interior was still great....be carefull S3's cost allot to put right ;)

twisty200
26-04-2009, 08:34 PM
The seats are half suede, and they looked worn, like suede does when its well used if you know what I mean. A few other things were worn (Pretty minor but I'm fussy) like around the light switch the surface had worn away (you could see the backlight through it). I've no reason to believe the mileage is dodgy, but no paperwork seen to prove (To be fair I've not asked the question). The interior just felt a bit used, moreso than I'd expect. I saw it as a bit of a project thats all - But don't want to spend alot putting it right if the same money will get me a goodun!

SEMKY
27-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Theres quite a few S3s about at the moment, it sounds to me like you could be opening a potential can 'o 'worms with that one. Like the previous replies..mines '99 with 93K on the clock and the interior is pretty solid (and if I am honest I haven't cared for it as much as I could have!)

bohoo
28-04-2009, 12:14 AM
worth looking at the key for wear and also foot pedals as well. easy to turn back clock, but harder to hide other tell tale signs.

stickymonkey
28-04-2009, 01:06 AM
broken bits, pieces missing, worn seats, and other signs of much more than 60k milage worth of ware. not good, project or what..!!

as an example i have a 53 plate 225bhp, bose upgrade, full black leather, Arm Rest, 18"RS wheels, harmon kardon drive and play ipod system, bluetooth phone, import laser jammer front and rear, just serviced, new clutch, Totally standard Solid S3 with 93K wright here in the southwest ready to be tweaked.

I wanted to chip it, upgrade the brakes, get tints etc but dont really have the spare cash, so if you looking for a solid S3, one of the last to be brought in too the country it would definately be worth a test drive. I travelled a long way to buy this S3 as it had all the extras i wanted. beautiful car in metallic silver...

drop me a pm if you want to take a look, as i can forward photos if so required.

cheers