PDA

View Full Version : emmissions workshop

mgarym
26-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi all
I've a 2004 mark 4 golf gt tdi 130
and the emmissins workshop warning and engine management light
have come on,but the car seems to drive normally:confused:,is this a common problem and can anyone advise me on a fix?

Thanks

kenney
26-04-2009, 06:02 PM
You need to have a fault code read,to find out what the problem is.

mgarym
28-04-2009, 06:29 PM
had the car on a code reader
It seems to be a faulty collant sensor
about half way down the engine on the rhs
the mechanic say its a common problem
and has order a new on for me

herby0001
28-04-2009, 09:50 PM
...It seems to be a faulty collant sensor...24 squids (only buy a genuine VW one) and 2 mins of your time to replace. If you're quick to recover the O-ring and pop the new one in, you won't lose much coolant.

mgarym
29-04-2009, 10:16 AM
thanks herby
do you know the part number for the sensor
and do i need any special tools to replace it?

herby0001
29-04-2009, 07:45 PM
No idea on the part number, but I do know it should be green. The only tools you need are your fingers and perhaps a flat bladed screwdriver to help gently prise off the retaining clip.

tornadored7
30-04-2009, 01:42 AM
thanks herby
do you know the part number for the sensor, and do i need any special tools to replace it?

MGM,

Relevant VW part numbers;

Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS): 059.919.501.A
Retaining spring/clip: 032.121.142

You may wish to reference the thread below, which observes issues that you may encounter when replacing the CTS (Note: likely coolant loss !), and also links to a CTS replacement HOW TO .

Coolant Temp Sender Sensor (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=64505)

When removing the CTS, the delicate retaining clip needs to be pulled downwards (perhaps using small pliers), and may drop into the black hole AKA the engine bay. Hence while sourcing a replacement green CTS, it may be worthwhile buying a spare retaining clip, just in case ?

As Herby mentioned, when replacing the CTS make sure that you extract the old rubber O ring (fairly quickly in order to minimize coolant loss), otherwise the new CTS may not install/seat properly.

TR7