PDA

View Full Version : 1996 A6 2.6 Cambelt

01alam
25-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Hello All,

I am new to the forum - Hello to all, and I hope you are enjoying your Audi's! Love the 1980's quarttro!

I currently have an opportunity to purchase a 1996 A6 2.6. I am not familar with these engines, but do know the 1.8 have a cambelt and the interval is about 60,000 miles.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if these 2.6 engines have cambelts? and what are the intervals. Also would a 91,000 miles example still be running around with an unchanged cambelt? How much should I put aside for the cambelt change (in the UK indie?)?

Really would apreciate your help.

Thanks,
Angus

paul b
25-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Hello All,

I am new to the forum - Hello to all, and I hope you are enjoying your Audi's! Love the 1980's quarttro!

I currently have an opportunity to purchase a 1996 A6 2.6. I am not familar with these engines, but do know the 1.8 have a cambelt and the interval is about 60,000 miles.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if these 2.6 engines have cambelts? and what are the intervals. Also would a 91,000 miles example still be running around with an unchanged cambelt? How much should I put aside for the cambelt change (in the UK indie?)?

Really would apreciate your help.

Thanks,
Angus
Angus,

I'm not aware as to whether it is a timing belt or a timing chain, but if it is a belt it should be replaced every 60k or 4 years whichever comes first. If that car is still on it's original belt, then it should have been done ages ago, and I'd recommend you get that seen to on your way home from purchasing it if that's what you do!

I'd imagine you're looking at around the £250 mark to have the job done.

Provide your engine code, then someone like Peter D or Crasher could confirm if it is belt driven or chain driven. The engine code will be 3 letters long, on the ID label in the spare wheel well or in the front of the service book. ;)

And yes thank you, I am enjoying my Audi. :biglaugh:

Paul

01alam
25-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks Paul, my theory is that since the car needs a new cambelt every 60k and it is now sitting at 90k and over 12 years old, it must have had its cambelt done, if not it would have broken by now.

£250 seems like a fair price. Coincidentally, I have read some stories about the automatic gearbox givng problems? How bad would it be.

The particular car I am looking at has a broken air conditioner - it leaks! Is that hard to fix?

Thanks
Angus

paul b
25-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks Paul, my theory is that since the car needs a new cambelt every 60k and it is now sitting at 90k and over 12 years old, it must have had its cambelt done, if not it would have broken by now.

£250 seems like a fair price. Coincidentally, I have read some stories about the automatic gearbox givng problems? How bad would it be.

The particular car I am looking at has a broken air conditioner - it leaks! Is that hard to fix?

Thanks
Angus
With no history of it done, for peace of mind its best to get it changed.

Auto box... I can't really comment on them, I've never owned an automatic Audi.

Leaking air con could just be a leaking pipe or connector. The hardest bit is tracking it down, replacing a bit of pipe won't be too difficult once it has been traced. The problem becomes more expensive if the leak is in the compressor or something though.

01alam
26-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Paul,

Have now bought the car!!! Very nice and smooth ride, not too powerful but will definitely be more than enough! Not too thirsty either.

Just wondering whether you know what a toothed belt is?

Thanks,
Angus

paul b
26-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks Paul,

Have now bought the car!!! Very nice and smooth ride, not too powerful but will definitely be more than enough! Not too thirsty either.

Just wondering whether you know what a toothed belt is?

Thanks,
Angus
A toothed belt is the timing/cam belt. It has a number of teeth on it, rather than being a smooth surface belt.

Glad you like the car, hope it turns out to be a good'un for yourself. :)

Paul

01alam
28-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Thanks Paul,

Can you recommend a good garage with a fair price anywhere - I know London prices will be high and would prefer to travel a little further for a bigger dicsount!

Thanks
Angus

paul b
30-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks Paul,

Can you recommend a good garage with a fair price anywhere - I know London prices will be high and would prefer to travel a little further for a bigger dicsount!

Thanks
Angus
Sorry Angus I can't, I'm at the other end of the country, and my cars never see the garage, I do all the work myself.

But there is C&R Enterprises, ran by forum member Crasher on here, that would certainly do a very good job for yourself. They're in Nottingham, so it's a bit of a trek, but his knowledge on all things VAG is amazing.

01alam
30-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks Paul, but Nottingham is a little far - will continue to search!

Thanks
Angus