PDA

View Full Version : No AM reception on Gamma radio...

jam
26-03-2007, 07:41 PM
I have recently acquired a 2003 passat- the Gamma radio has perfect FM reception, but no AM signal at all. Just hiss, even at a correct frequency at volume, there's not a hint of a station.
Any ideas? Would really rather stick with the factory option.
One more thing- I was going to remove the stereo to check connections, but I'm worried about losing the power & needing the security code which I do not have. How do I get this? Its been removed from the log book...
Cheers!

Froggy
30-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Have you got a roof aerial or screen aerial?

For the security code the VW Dealer is the best route.

jam
31-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi there- its a roof aerial. I tried a different one but no improvement. :(

Froggy
02-04-2007, 11:51 AM
The factory roof aerial needs a 12v feed that is supplied down the centre of the aerial cable from the radio.

Without the 12v feed you will get no AM reception, but your FM will probably be OK.

I would suspect that either the cable is dodgy, or more likely the aerial itself is faulty. Try another aerial or even a bit of wire straight in the back of the set - if you get any AM reception it will prove it's not the radio.

jam
02-04-2007, 01:34 PM
The factory roof aerial needs a 12v feed that is supplied down the centre of the aerial cable from the radio.

Without the 12v feed you will get no AM reception, but your FM will probably be OK.

I would suspect that either the cable is dodgy, or more likely the aerial itself is faulty. Try another aerial or even a bit of wire straight in the back of the set - if you get any AM reception it will prove it's not the radio.

Cheers Froggy- I did try a different aerial from another car but no improvement...I'll try the wire into the back of the set & see how it goes!