PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Problem Tdi 110 Golf ???

robdcaterham
26-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Hello,

I am a new member who has been searching the internet for advice on a cold start problem, and this looked like the perfect place to find some people with knowledge!

The car is a 1999 Golf GT TDI 110.
The problem is that it does not like starting from cold.
I have fitted new glow plugs but the problem is still the same.
The car starts fine once it's warm.

Any advice you can give on how I can sort this out myself would be greatly appreciated :D

Many thanks in advance,

Robert.

Col
26-03-2007, 09:16 PM
Probably either (in order of probability);

Faulty water temp sensor, easy cheap diy fix.

or

Your getting air in the fuel system, check all pipe unions especially on the fuel filter.

redmax90
27-03-2007, 07:22 PM
hey there..i have a 90 hp tdi golf mark 4 i am having a similar problem..its just like a stuttering an a general strange startup when cold..but when warm perfect ! my coolant temp sensor was needing replaced anyway as the gauge was messing about so my mechanic a vw master technicain changed it but it made no difference to the way she starts. we have discussed the possibility of timing being retarded after a belt change but VAGCOM shows the timing to be perfect. my mechanic is adement that the problem lies with a fuel temp sensor within the pump on the older TDI engines..we have penciled into replace it at easter ..along with his sons seat ibiza tdi 90 hp as it is suffering the same issue. so ill let ya kno how we get on ..my mechanic is certain this where the problem lies !
keep ya posted
:beerchug:

robdcaterham
27-03-2007, 08:00 PM
:D cheers guys will give it a go

Rob

s0niX
28-03-2007, 11:10 PM
OR, Park your car where your central heating pipes come out of ur house.. gets warm there ;)
:biglaugh:

saxman
16-12-2007, 04:33 PM
So have you solved the prob. cos I`ve got an identical one! was it the fuel temp sensor? If so was it costly?

saxman
16-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Did you fit a new fuel temp sensor & if so did it solve the problem? How much did it cost? (anything with diesel fuel pumps involved seems to be costly!)

Davieboy
18-12-2007, 01:55 PM
hey there..i have a 90 hp tdi golf mark 4 i am having a similar problem..its just like a stuttering an a general strange startup when cold..but when warm perfect ! my coolant temp sensor was needing replaced anyway as the gauge was messing about so my mechanic a vw master technicain changed it but it made no difference to the way she starts. we have discussed the possibility of timing being retarded after a belt change but VAGCOM shows the timing to be perfect. my mechanic is adement that the problem lies with a fuel temp sensor within the pump on the older TDI engines..we have penciled into replace it at easter ..along with his sons seat ibiza tdi 90 hp as it is suffering the same issue. so ill let ya kno how we get on ..my mechanic is certain this where the problem lies !
keep ya posted
:beerchug:
hi,
might be worth checking out the spray pattern on your injectors.
The nozzles might be fouled up, thus not atomizing the fuel correctly.

davie