PDA

View Full Version : Golf GTi Mk3

my1stGTi
26-03-2007, 05:47 PM
I have a Mk3 Golf GTi 2.0 8v. And i'm having a problem in that after running the car for approx. 20mins it dies total loss of power.

Then when you try to start it again it won't, i have to leave it for about 10-15mins before it will re-start. And then it will only run for 5mins if that before cutting out.

I've replaced Relay 30 but it still cuts out. Does anybody else have any suggestions.

Col
26-03-2007, 06:56 PM
I assume relay 30 is the fuel injection relay ?

There were a bad batch that having run for a little while and got hot would fail due to loose joints internally.

The MK3 8v is prone to do this, ours did !!!

Can't remember what cured it as I changed so much on the damned thing !

my1stGTi
27-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Relay 30 is the ECU(Engine Control Unit). I haven't yet changed everything but I know what you mean LOL.

I have since found two earth wires attached to crimps that show strong signs of corrossion that are located between the engine earth block and alternator mounting bracket just below the head gasket, wondered if i should renew these?

spiders8
29-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I had a similar problem with my Mk3 GTi. After £100's of pointless "repairs", what finally solved it was a new cold start valve. (Not sure if that is the correct name).

Don't know for sure whether it will solve your problem, but it might be worth getting one from a breaker yard and trying.

Good luck !