PDA

View Full Version : Fault code 16618..help req'd!

Issac Hunt
25-04-2009, 12:44 PM
My friends Octavia PD140 drops into limp mod now again, usually on the motorway. Stopping the engine and restarting usually clears the problem for a while.

VCDS shows 1 fault code, 16618 - Boost pressure regulation - overboost condition.

Is there are a common faulty component that usually causes this? We had a good search under the bonnet and could not see any obvious problems with any of the boost/vacuum hoses - they all appear connected and in ok condition.

bearthebruce
25-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Refer to the Ross-Tech Wiki: 16618 (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/16618/P0234/000564)

paul b
25-04-2009, 04:17 PM
On a car of that year (unless it's done mega miles) I would say it is unlikely that it needs a new turbo. But it isn't impossible.

Treble check the boost pipes. Especially the intercooler pipes, and the thick, fat one that runs from the EGR towards the front of the engine bay. To fully test it, disconnect it and fully tape it up with masking or gaffer tape, clear the fault codes, and if the car runs well then you know the pipe is leaking.

In my experience they have metal lugs which can wear out. A new pipe cost me about £50 from VW for my T5 van, which also had overboost codes like you suggest. Unfortunately I had already gone down the route of replacing the turbo myself. :zx11:

Crasher
25-04-2009, 04:41 PM
On that engine, the BKD, it is more than likely a faulty turbo, to say this is becoming an epidemic is an understatement.

Issac Hunt
25-04-2009, 07:20 PM
On that engine, the BKD, it is more than likely a faulty turbo, to say this is becoming an epidemic is an understatement.

Bah! Not what we wanted to hear really, but it does seem like a popular fault!

paul b
25-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Obviously Crasher has seen a common fault on these engines.

I retract my comments.

Issac Hunt
25-04-2009, 08:25 PM
We've had another check of the boost hoses and all seem ok.

Is it worth throwing an N75 at it? Or do these not fail often?

If its the turbo on the way out, what other symptoms can we expect in the coming weeks?

Crasher
25-04-2009, 08:36 PM
It sounding like the police are following you! Whine wooo wah whine weeeee! Sorry, too much :alcoholic