PDA

View Full Version : Question mysterious door switch

tigerminx1
24-04-2009, 08:57 PM
HELP :zx11:..........had my 2000 plate A3 1.6 sport a couple of years now, and it had a problem which seemed to have dissapeared.

After shutting the drivers door, sometimes the door open sign was displayed on the dash display along the with interior lights and door lights still illuminated.......Sometimes (very rarely) opening and shutting the door again would cure it, sometimes (not very often) slamming the door would cure it........but nine times out of ten what i would end up doing is turning off the front and rear interior courtesy lights and disconnecting the door panel lights just so that the battery wouldnt flatten.

If i left it for a while and went back, usually it would have rectified itself and went back to normal..........All of a sudden, the problem disappeared and i never saw it for ages.........3 seasons to be exact..........

Its just dawned on me, it was the summer when it was doing it last year, and this week since we've had some sunny warm weather (almost laughable, but i'll take it) it's started happening again.

I can predict it now, if the car is left in the sun or quite warm weather, i can guarantee when i get in the problem will be there.......when the weather cools down again....the problem goes.......

ANY IDEAS......Obviously a dodgy door switch comes to mind, but why is it only happening in warm conditions......Where are the door switches on these, are they an integral part of the lock mechanism, and what are they like to mess about with or an approx price of repair or replacemtn would be a great help....

Many thanks in advance !!!!!!:o

Crasher
24-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Yes, it is in the lock unit.

swalker15
28-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Same here !

I've got an A3 1.8 '51 plate and the drivers door warning light comes on on the display sometimes when the door is shut.

Again slamming, etc. may or may not cure it !

Crasher, you say it's in the "lock nut" I presume you mean on the door rather than on the body. Doyou have any idea how easy it is to get in there and fix it or if not how much such a job would cost ?!?

Thanks a lot.

Crasher
28-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Lock unit old boy, inside the door.

swalker15
29-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Crasher,

Thought as much - just checking !

Any idea if this is a hassle to fix and how much it might cost (not at an Audi dealership !) ?

Ta

Crasher
29-04-2009, 01:18 PM
Audi specify around 1.5 hours which is a little optimistic on an older car.

Lord Nelson
29-06-2009, 09:24 AM
Im having the same problem on my S3....is the only way to recify this to fit a new door lock unit if the switch is integrated?
I need to sort this out as its affecting my alarm.

Also have the same problem with the passenger side, although the display is not showing the door as being open, the courtesy light justs flashes on and off. very annoying and bizarre. this is sometimes cured by opening the passenger door and slamming it shut.

any help is greatly apreciated. :confused:

merlin2002
29-06-2009, 05:40 PM
My S3 is also doing this, But its only the door thats directly in the sun, which is always my drivers door, theres a microswitch in the lock which for some reason gets stuck when its really hot, not sure if a new unit would actually fix this, could be a design fault

Rob

picki
15-07-2009, 11:55 AM
And i thought i was going mental!!!!!!!!!!!

Other people suffer with the hot-weather-no-shutty-door syndrome!

:beerchug:

a6rom
07-10-2009, 11:52 AM
get to the lock mecanisim, open door panel
spray lots of wd40 wait for a bit then spray
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4153

dont buy the chepo one it doesn't work, think this was £4.29

drown it in wd40 and contact cleaner, keep working the lock and door.

keep working the door lock, lock unlock lock unlock......
open close door......
spray again, once its working fine put door panel back on, if it just doesn't work afraid its a new lock mecanisim, but its worked fine for me on boot lock.

good luck, let us know how you get on

angus.morgan
09-10-2009, 12:15 PM
And i thought i was going mental!!!!!!!!!!!

Other people suffer with the hot-weather-no-shutty-door syndrome!

:beerchug:
Me too!

hidnmine
15-10-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm amazed.
I have exactly the same symptoms.
Driver's door. Shows open if the car's been parked in the sun.
Passenger door. Causes the interior light to flash - about once a second. Only happened once (so far). When I saw it I thought I'd been invaded by aliens!
Has anyone successfully fixed or replaced the switches?
Can the switch be replaced, or is it the whole lock unit?
Cheers
Andy