PDA

View Full Version : Whining noise under acceleration

PhilH1982
23-04-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a 2000 Passat TDi 115 PD and when under acceleration up to about 2000 rpm the car makes a strange whining noise. It only does it when I'm driving, (tried looking at the pulleys etc while revving = no noise) and only under acceleration.

Any ideas or similar problems out there?

easylifeauto
23-04-2009, 07:33 PM
is the wife in the car with you?mine makes a whining noise during harsh acceleration:D,thats girls for you!

cat
23-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I have a 2000 Passat TDi 115 PD and when under acceleration up to about 2000 rpm the car makes a strange whining noise. It only does it when I'm driving, (tried looking at the pulleys etc while revving = no noise) and only under acceleration.

Any ideas or similar problems out there?

Try checking the hoses, a small split sometimes makes a similar noise, especially intercooler pipes.

Panzerdriver
24-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Possible wear in the Turbo, does the noise increase with acceleration and decrease off load??

PhilH1982
24-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Yeah the noise only happens under acceleration. It sometimes makes a faint noise after starting. I havent been able to get the engine to make the noise with bonnet up, only seems to happen in drive. I havent noticed any smoke or loss of power yet.

cazyp
25-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Could be gearbox bearings.

PhilH1982
04-05-2009, 03:00 PM
well by the looks of the car now, the turbo has gone.

At first checked the EGR valve which was leaking so thought it was just that. Then drving the other day, suddenly lost the turbo. Limped the car back home with what sounded like all the air escaping from the hoses, and about a mile from home was greeted with the sight of a plume of smoke out of the back. I had checked the oil the previous day and was on the max, now it hardly covers the dipstick, and there's oil in the pipes.

Are the turbo's easy to replace and how much can I expect to pay?

cazyp
04-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Just a matter of undoing bolts and an oil feed pipe really, but worth soaking the bolts in plusgas for a day or 2 first and a LOT easier if done on a ramp from under the car. Recon unit approx £250 but try a breakers yard - lots of low mile VW's sitting about.

Before replacing the turbo check all the boost/intercooler pipes for splits - take them off and flex them etc + check the intercooler itself at the ends for cracks and make sure you have no other vacuum leaks. Check you haven't lost the oil via a leak somewhere.
Did you get a new egr valve? If not, block up the vac pipe leading to the black plastic actuator with a bolt or similar to test as leaving this open will cause 'limp' mode with no turbo and smoke.

PhilH1982
04-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I havent yet replaced the EGR but when getting the car home, I disconnected the pipe leading into the EGR being told that this would disable the turbo anyway. Still got clouds of smoke out the back and the car sounded like a bag of hammers. Noticed oil at the pipe that I'd disconnected.

Going to check the turbo later to see if any play in the shaft.

TEEMMERT
04-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I have a passat 2001 1.9 tdi that makes an odd noise on accellaeration (more a virbration than a whinning though) and someone at my work said a noise when accellarating was usually caused by the "cover" over the turbo vibrating against the housing: A push with a screwdriver will stop it touching and stop the noise: I've not tried this yet.

I'm still getting 54 to 56 miles per gallon so i assume there is no internal leak causing my noise.

cazyp
04-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I havent yet replaced the EGR but when getting the car home, I disconnected the pipe leading into the EGR being told that this would disable the turbo anyway. Still got clouds of smoke out the back and the car sounded like a bag of hammers. Noticed oil at the pipe that I'd disconnected.

Going to check the turbo later to see if any play in the shaft.

Reconnect the pipe going into the top of the EGR valve.
Take the pipe off the black actuator on the side of the egr and block this one off with a bolt.

Check the breather pipe coming from the cam cover near the turbo area to see if it is blocked.

HTH

PhilH1982
04-05-2009, 10:07 PM
Well I got to the turbo so I could have a check and its had it. The thing is flopping all over the place and all the hoses are full of oil. This should keep me entertained for a few weeks sorting it out then.

Thanks for all hints and tips folks.

waqasnoor
07-07-2014, 11:51 AM
is the wife in the car with you?mine makes a whining noise during harsh acceleration:D,thats girls for you!

Hi. I have a VW amarok, 2.0TSI. recently it started whining and does that despite the wife not being in the car. happens only when accelerating. have experienced loss of power. the car struggles to make it to 100mph. when driving at 70mph, even a slight incline results in me having to drop a gear or two to maintain speed. once i attain cruise speed, the whining stops. irrespective of the speed. only happens when accelerating. the car has done about 40000 miles only. its a 2012 model. comes with the same engine as an audi 2.0TSI or so im told.

one thing i should mention although im not sure if it has any bearing on this.

its a company car and i travelled for 2 months leaving the car behind. apparently they used to car behind me and did not change the oil. the oil was changed on 17th dec 2013 and then, was changed last week. is it possible that due to sludge, some pipe might be blocked causing this. maybe an oil flush could help.

i've seen people putting about a gallon of diesel in the engine after draining the oil and letting the engine run for a minute or two to clean it up. can i do that with my car or would it mess up the engine. i've done that with a 2003 BMW 2.0d and it didn't seem to have any negative effects on it.

any ideas on what could be the fault and how i can diagnose it. hope its not the turbo cos dealer's selling a new one here for over $2000 and that does not include fitting.

crackpotterpig
07-07-2014, 05:49 PM
def dont put diesel in the engine oil or use any other oil flushes, nine times out of ten they do more harm than good. Have you checked the air intake side for leaks, make sure all the hoses are on and arent split etc.

Roohi
07-09-2015, 08:01 AM
Hi All..after some advice please...I have a similar whining noise under acceleration in my old mk 1 VW GOLF -registered 2000.
It has recently undergone a clutch and gear box change. After which it makes an increasing whining sound ...the pitch of whining increases with increasing speed. I notice it more in 4th gear as soon as a speed of 30 mph and above is reached. If I take my foot off the accelerator the whining eases off...but back on the accelerator and and the whining increases again.
This never happened before the clutch and gear box were changed.
What could it be ?

waqasnoor
07-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Sorry for not getting back on the amarok issue. Turned out it was the cat that was blocked. Rather than change the cat (no emissions control here) I de-catted the car and no whining except with the wife (unavoidable). Cars got full power again.