PDA

View Full Version : AC / vent problem

tixy
23-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

quick bit of advice please about my golf 1.6se 2001

the vent/ac has stopped working all of a sudden
if i turn the knob to power 1 - nothing happens! 2 and 3, nothing
on full power it blows hard but the AC button underneath lights up only dimly and theres no AC (i.e. it doesnt cool the air)

previously the vents/ac were working perfectly, just happened all of a sudden

any ideas about what the problem is, how to diagnose or any quick fixes?

cheers

tixy
23-04-2009, 07:47 PM
searched the forums apparently its a resistor problem, located behind the glovebox

how to remove the mk4 golf glove box? any pics?

cheers

tixy
23-04-2009, 08:30 PM
you have got to be kidding me!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=958556

do i have to remove EVERYTHING to replace the faulty resistor behind the glove box, or is there a shortcut?

tixy
23-04-2009, 08:43 PM
before i take my car apart
can anyone confirm that the golf resistor is in the same place as the sharan resistor as discussed in this forum:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=29236&highlight=air+conditioning+problem

thanks all

VAGMAN54
23-04-2009, 08:48 PM
undo the torx around the glove box then remove it you can then get to the resistor in the blower ducting

tixy
23-04-2009, 09:51 PM
i undid seven out of the eight torx so i could pull the glove box out partially from the passenger door side

to get to the eighth one i think you have to take half the car apart according to the VWVORTEX thread i posted earlier

i had a peek behind the glove box from the side as best i could
i couldnt see any resistor (although admittedly i didn't have the best view)

where exactly is this resistor? does it look like the green one in the sharan post?

vagman54 is there an easy way to get to the eighth torx, so i can take the whole glove box out?
you said the resistors in the blower ducting, please elaborate.

thanks

tixy
24-04-2009, 11:54 AM
also does anyone know the part number for the golf resistor?

jonathanfenton
30-04-2009, 10:22 AM
also does anyone know the part number for the golf resistor?

Just snap the last one. You dont need the stupid stupid stupid bit of plastic that connects into your center console. Its just to make it harder for your everyday mechanic as they go "wow take out most of the dash?!...no thanks!". Just cut it off and then you can get to the resister easier. I found with all the crap in my glove box it bent it to near breaking anyway so i thought sod it! Snap.... lol :biglaugh:

Pete 730
30-04-2009, 10:52 AM
When you change resistor, also fit new pollen filter, sounds crazy, but resistor is cooled by air drawn in by fan, partially blocked pollen filter reduces air flow and resistor overheats.

tixy
01-05-2009, 01:51 PM
thanks for the advice about the pollen filter
the plot thickens.......

about 6 months ago, or so, my passenger footwell kept flooding when it rained.
the helpful people on this forum told me to look at the pollen filter casing under the windscreen. Lo and behold it was cracked and leaking, lots of leaves and water clogging it.
I sorted the casing to see if the problem would be fixed, and it was fixed
BUT i never changed the pollen filter after.....silly me

will change it this time, thanks

tixy
01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Just snap the last one. You dont need the stupid stupid stupid bit of plastic that connects into your center console. Its just to make it harder for your everyday mechanic as they go "wow take out most of the dash?!...no thanks!". Just cut it off and then you can get to the resister easier. I found with all the crap in my glove box it bent it to near breaking anyway so i thought sod it! Snap.... lol :biglaugh:

okaaaay
snapping it sounds very messy, how does it look?

jonathanfenton
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
okaaaay
snapping it sounds very messy, how does it look?

The offending peice of plastic is hidded behind the dash. You never see it anyways!:beerchug:

Pete 730
01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
It's a pretty common problem with many modern cars, cheap resistor packs with poor heat sink capability supposed to be cooled by blower motor airflow. Happens on Renaults a lot. The resistor pack is about the only non service spare part that our local VW main dealer keeps, gives you some idea of how common problem is. Good Luck.

tixy
03-05-2009, 12:34 AM
managed to get to behind the glovebox by taking away the soft material underneath it
i can see what i think is the resistor (see pics)
it looks like one of the wires in the connector (furthest one away) has shorted and melted the casing
i couldnt seem to pull the connector out (i assume because it has melted)

1) is this the resistor?
2) how the hell do i remove it as it doesnt look like its removable
3) i assume i need to replace those wires in the pic, where is the other end of this wire and how do i remove it?

would appreciate any help
thanks

tixy
04-05-2009, 07:28 PM
ok all

i removed the resistor, let me reiterate you DON'T have to take apart the glovebox and dash

all i had to do was undo a black plastic screw underneath the glovebox holding up that black foamy material, then i just pulled it away as in the above picture

there are two screws to remove: one just above the 4-pin connector and one on the opposite end. the whole boat shaped plastic piece falls down and embedded in this is the green resistor.

My 4-pin connector was melted on one side, so i had to prize/cut it out. That's going to be a bugger to replace/repair

any advice will be appreciated

i'll let you all know if this works once i replace the part!

VAGMAN54
04-05-2009, 07:35 PM
that drawing looks familiar

Pete 730
04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
A tidy repair would be roughen surface and build up with an epoxy such as araldite -quick setting version or do as garages do with any ducting/heater repair - gaffer tape. It's not as if it's visible!

tixy
05-05-2009, 12:17 PM
the sdealership are gonna charge me £50 for the resisitor on its own!
i asked about the wire and connector, they said i'd have to buy the entire dash loom which will cost hundreds! :aargh4:

talk about helpful

i got a quote from a local salvage for £20 both the resistor and wire,
guess i'll be taking that route.

once ive got the wire i'll see what i can do about repairing with tape

tixy
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
i went to the salvage, they didnt have the part after all
but i took the wire and connector off the heavily stripped golf they had

i bought the heater blower motor resistor from eabay for £16.49 sent to my door, has a 3 month guarantee which is useful

i found out these golfs have two sorts of resistors, one red one for the cars with climate control, and a green one for the one with knobs.

the part number for the green one is 1J0 819 022

stripped the tips of the wires, connected them up, tested it
all seems to work fine

thanks all, a happy ending :biglaugh: