PDA

View Full Version : Audi used approved 'standards'

HBA4345
23-04-2009, 06:07 AM
Just a bit miffed, bought a used approved A6 from Audi dealer in Newcastle about 5 weeks ago. Have probably put 700 miles on the car since purchase (100 of that delivery miles!)

Wife called yesterday saying that the brake pad warning light has just come on. :aargh4:

Is it just me or should I expect to put new brake pads into a car that went through 'used approved checklist' only a few weeks ago?

Will be calling the dealer but thought I'd get a few opinions first.

Redzer
23-04-2009, 07:13 AM
When i was looking around for an A6 i'm pretty sure i was told that under the approved Audi scheme that when the car was checked over anything that would be likely to need doing within 10k miles would be done.

I would have thought that the pads should have been replaced if they were that worn.

peteo
23-04-2009, 08:00 AM
VW "Approved" standards for used cars seem little better. The front tyres on my 2005 Mk5 Golf were pretty near the legal limit and the wiper blades were shot. The pre delivery checks also did no show up that the cruise control had failed even though I pointed this out on the test drive (in fairness fixed without quibble on a while you wait basis).

I had the same with Honda - worn wiper blades and marginal tyres.

I don't think any of these checks are carried out at all. They just hope they can get away with it.

Redzer
23-04-2009, 08:47 AM
I dont give any weight to any of those approval schemes at all, the car i bought had a bent drive belt tensioner when i collected it.
I had never owned an Audi and knew no better so i put the squeaky belt down to just being a one off and drove the car back to Ireland,
and did i ever live to regret that decision :biglaugh:

After getting home the drive belt snapped took out the cam belt and only for a friend of a friend was an Audi mechanic i would have been looking at a lot of € for a repair bill

peteo
23-04-2009, 09:06 AM
How true this is I don't know but someone told me that dealers are aware that most serious issues are covered by the Insurance backed VAG approved warranty so they just wait until the thing goes wrong, fix it and claim the money back.

Unfortunately for the punter, this doesn't cover normal wear and tear items.

Thinking about this item, I do remember buying a 5 year old 3 series BMW from Autotechnic in Altrincham. Now they did do a thorough job. Brake pads were replaced, a full service was done and a marginal tyre on the front replaced.

Another thing that seems to have gone by the board in the last 10 years or so is the full service that you always used to get. If it's not due a service when they sell the car, they don't do it. You then may have to do a service only a few months after purchase.

Are Ryanair in charge of car dealers these days?

paulthefox
23-04-2009, 01:52 PM
no they are the scum of the airline industry charging you if people happen to be over weight:puke:

paul

HBA4345
24-04-2009, 05:35 AM
Didn't have time to speak to them yesterday, stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no comms, will have a chance today though.

Annoying thing is they did obviously check some things, both the front tyres were brand spankers, rears were part worn but TBH I wasn't expecting them to replace everything for new, it as after all a used car!

But brakes, although they are not covered in warranty, that are worn far enough down to trigger the dash warning within a few weeks should have been replaced in my opinion.

Might give Audi UK a call first to see what they're take on the situation is, forewarned is forearmed so they say.

HBA4345
25-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Latest news, spoke to the dealer I got it from, sales guy didn't even need convincing, told me straight off to take it down to my local dealer to check it out and that they would get in touch to approve any work that is required.

I got him to clarify if that counted for the brake pads which are normally classed as a wear and tear item, again, no hesitation, he said they wanted to make sure it's right and if it needed new pads they would be changed.

Bit of a pain having to take it in but fair dues to them for not procrastinating and fighting it tooth and nail.