PDA

View Full Version : Towing Eye Snaped

stinger
22-04-2009, 11:19 PM
My golf was recovered on a recovery truck a few weeks ago they left the towing eye in. Today i tried to remove it, it was on very tight and while trying to twist it off it snaped and 3/4 of the eye is stuck in the socket. Any ideas on how to remove and are they usually removed anti clockwise? thanks

tornadored7
22-04-2009, 11:52 PM
My golf was recovered on a recovery truck a few weeks ago they left the towing eye in. Today i tried to remove it, it was on very tight and while trying to twist it off it snaped and 3/4 of the eye is stuck in the socket. Any ideas on how to remove and are they usually removed anti clockwise? thanks

I believe that the towing eye has a left hand thread, so;

to tighten turn anti-clockwise
while to loosen turn clockwise

If any of the towing eye is protruding, try gripping it with some mole grips/pliers and rotating clockwise, however the bumper may obstruct access.

TR7

stinger
23-04-2009, 12:24 AM
its snapped inside the socket for the towing eye so there is no way to get to it. i must have been tightening it no wonder why it snapped. on top of it bent snaped its now tightened to the max.

herby0001
24-04-2009, 07:33 AM
I would suggest is to drill and tap and hole, then using a normal bolt, tighten it up in the normal clockwise direction which will allow you to try and turn the remnants of the towing eye. A local engineering workshop may be able to help with taps to save you buying them.