PDA

View Full Version : Tinted Windows

dmw76
22-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Hi, i want to get the rear window and rear door windows tinted and should really have got them done as an option but didnt. Can anyone tell me if these aftermarket tinting companies are any good and will they look similar to the factory tints. Cheers Danny

vdubdavy
23-04-2009, 08:52 PM
If you get a reputable company to do the tinting it should look ok.

The tint is usually a bit darker than the factory option.

dmw76
23-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the reply. Ive seen a few on the internet that look ok i just dont want them to look too chavy. Are the factory tints actually darkenend glass rather than a film that these companies use?

vdubdavy
23-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Yes i am pretty sure its tinted glass from the factory.

A few of the boys in the work have had their cars done and it looks ok.

Worst case scenario, if you dont like it you can take it back off with no damage to the glass.

machine
24-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I was thinking of getting an after market tint, now having had the car a few weeks I'm not so sure. I've got a black 3 door and think it might end up looking a bit too much like a van.

Plus having the back seats open to inspection from outside should hopefully convince the thieving oiks there's nothing worth stealing.

I think I'll spend the money saved on a leather steering wheel, the standard plastic one does feel low rent. Wish I'd paid more attention when ordering, bit sneaky having the brochure pic of the SE with an optional extra.

Blackthorn
24-04-2009, 12:32 PM
If you read the brochure you'll see that virtually every (if not every) picture in there has optional extra's of some sort, be it metallic paint, different alloy's, upgraded stereo, leather seats or whatever.

To be fair to VW, they do make this fairly clear in the brochures unlike some other manufacturers who don't seem to mention it at all.

machine
24-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Yeah, you're right, it is clear and I did actualy know it was an option after pricing a car online, after a test drive in a car with a leather wheel and the picture in the brochure it just slipped my mind.

I'm just a bit annoyed with myself.

That said I'd have not wanted to wait x months for my car to be built.

james_tiger_woo
24-04-2009, 03:59 PM
If you go to a reputable place, they'll take the windows out and ensure they're covered properly - that's what I'd ask whether they do that. It'd be more expensive, but the fit&finish will be far better as a result.

If I didn't have the tints already and I wanted them - that's what I'd do.

dmw76
24-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Not to sure what to do regarding the tints. Asked the wife about it last night and she wasnt too keen, but i think they could look good as weve had them on our last car ( Clio 197 ) so i might just have em done and brave the wife. How much do you reckon it will cost for a 5 door as these sites dont list prices.

vdubdavy
24-04-2009, 06:32 PM
If you go to a reputable place, they'll take the windows out and ensure they're covered properly - that's what I'd ask whether they do that. It'd be more expensive, but the fit&finish will be far better as a result.

If I didn't have the tints already and I wanted them - that's what I'd do.

Removing and refitting the door windows would be ok but the rear window will be bonded, personally i wouldnt want anybody to cut any window out of my new car unless absolutely necessary.

You should be looking to pay between £150-£250 to get it done

ben0069
25-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I had mine done at Pentagon glass. They have a website and outlets over the uk. Top job, windows out, and back in again, the lot