PDA

View Full Version : Question Using too much oil?

veronica1
22-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I had my 2007 1.9tdi serviced 6 months ago (long life oil) and only done approx 4000 miles since then. Today the oil warning light came on and when I checked dipstick it was on minimum so put 1 litre in and the light has gone off.

My question is...is this 'normal' oil consumption? I've only had the car for 1 year so I don't know. I just want to put my mind at rest or if something is wrong, get it dealt with.

Thanks

paul.mgrath
22-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Get used to it my friend. 3-4000 miles per litre is the standard.

;)

shaft-50
22-04-2009, 07:59 PM
As above, its true.

I have a new GTI and it drank all its oil in the first 5000 miles from new. Went to dealers and was told that this is normal and if car driven properly then it will need regular/frequent top ups.

Just be lucky your not topping up after evry 1000 miles as I found one guy was after a google search LOL.

Just make sure you keep a litre in the boot and use the VW approved oil only. It is expensive but your engines worth it.

veronica1
22-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'm glad to know this is normal. Yes i used VW approved oil today and will buy some more.

Is there anywhere you can get it for a reasonable price (other than VW)?

shaft-50
22-04-2009, 09:30 PM
If you are using the Castrol Edge 5w oil then believe it or not I have found Ebay to be the cheapest for it. I have bought 4 x 1 litre bottles for £40ish whereas that same oil is around £17 a litre from most other outlets. Have a look on ebay.

veronica1
22-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the tip, i'll check ebay :D

peteo
23-04-2009, 08:14 AM
I think individual cars can vary as well. My Bora used about a litre every 2,000 but then it was high mileage.

My Golf 1.9TDI seems pretty frugal. In nearly 4,000 miles, it seems to have used less than half a litre.

I am no techie but am I not right in thinking that Diesels use more oil than petrol engines anyway? The level on my Honda never, ever moved between services. I don't remember topping up my other VAG petrol cars either.

dod1e
23-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Most turbos on these deisels seem to seep oil from the turbo seals. It is normal for the inside of the induction piping to be coated in oil.

I guess the extent of this oil weep will contribute a big part to the amount of oil used.

I find i'm topping up every 2500 miles, and generally i use about a litre between 10k services, although now approaching 90k, I think this has increased slightly, and a single litre may not see me through this time.

2.0 TDI 140, remapped.

paul.mgrath
23-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I heard that they settle down after 18K. Mines done 38K and shows no sign of getting any better. When the Intake manifold flap was replaced recently this was absoloutely smothered with engine oil.

Oil i have been using is SLXR of different 'evoloutions' starting from SLXR II , III and now i am on another (can't remember the name off hand) but it has always been from the same VW dealer, costs about 13 quid a bottle and believe it or not is their best seller!!!!

I have just placed an order for a mk6 (GTTDI) now and when i drove the demo it was a fraction of the noise of mine. I believe they have changed the innards i just hope this will have cured its thirst!!

However with it being one of their best sellers i doubt it! I love every minute of driving the car tho' and if it needs a little sip of castrols finest every now and then so be it.

normclarke
25-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I have owned about 8 Golf's both petrol and diesel and apart from my present 1.4FSI have not used more than 1/2 ltr in 10k miles. My present car started to use about a litre in 10k mls but at 66k has settled down to less than 1/2 ltr in 10k. I found when running a TDI Mk3 and Mk4 that these engines were no problem with regards to oil consumtion. The running in periods can be very long as the long life oils will delay the necessary bedding in process. I was suprised when my current car took so long to settle down, I hope its a sign of long life!

Cheers,

normclarke.

veronica1
25-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I'd be interested to see how long before my car needs topping up again, I wonder if long life oil doesnt last as long or something

adstalker
28-04-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a 2007 GT Sport 2.0tdi 140. I have had it from new and currently have covered 36K. It has just had its second long life service. I have only had to put in a litre of oil over the last 36K.

I am surprised to read all the previous comments that people are using a litre of oil for every 4k. Is there any one else on the forum that is getting results like me?

Anthony

peteo
29-04-2009, 08:08 AM
I have a 2007 GT Sport 2.0tdi 140. I have had it from new and currently have covered 36K. It has just had its second long life service. I have only had to put in a litre of oil over the last 36K.

I am surprised to read all the previous comments that people are using a litre of oil for every 4k. Is there any one else on the forum that is getting results like me?

Anthony
Well my consumption is probably nearest to your Anthony. After 4000 miles, the level is about a third the way down the serrated marked area on the dipstick so I don't know what that equates to but less than half a litre in 4000.

Benzev
29-04-2009, 11:15 AM
I think individual cars can vary as well. My Bora used about a litre every 2,000 but then it was high mileage.

My Golf 1.9TDI seems pretty frugal. In nearly 4,000 miles, it seems to have used less than half a litre.

I am no techie but am I not right in thinking that Diesels use more oil than petrol engines anyway? The level on my Honda never, ever moved between services. I don't remember topping up my other VAG petrol cars either.

No in petrol engined cars you use the same amount of oil! However your level appears to stay the same because a lot of short distance driving fills the sump with unburnt petrol which adds to your level! Go for a long drive and you'll find your level will go down as the engine will start burning the fuel which is in your engine oil as it will vapourise with heat and go through your crankcase ventilation system and recycled in your engine emission control system! Diesel fuel doesn't readily pass your pistonrings into the sump as petrol does hence gets burnt off in your exhaust(black soot out the exhaust with cold running!) This is why oil changes are so very important as petrol in your oil causes borewash which washing the engineoil off your cylinder walls causes premature wear! This is also why diesel engines tend to last a lot longer when properly maintained!

Benzev
29-04-2009, 11:25 AM
I'd be interested to see how long before my car needs topping up again, I wonder if long life oil doesnt last as long or something

Long life oil (Castrol SLX II or SLXIII(suitable for DPF)) is fully synthetic and pretty thin stuff and as such can get past the piston rings easier so can use some more! It all depends on your engine's quality some engines come off the assembly line very close to blueprint specs which makes them a better engine with less likelyhood of using as much oil as clearances are much narrower! If yours uses more than the average you probably have an engine with greater piston to cylinderwall and pistonring clearances! VW does however state in your instruction manual that up to 1 litre per 1000km is normal beyond that you have a problem and it can be seen to under warranty!

veronica1
29-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Thats a lot isnt it - 1litre per 1000miles (imagine the cost!) however it does mean my car is "normal" according to vw.

Teflon
29-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I was told that the only way VW are able to offer a long life service regime is because the oil consumption is designed to be higher than optimum, so that over 20k you've effectively had the best part of an oil change because of all the top-ups. They apparently start to use a lot less once the engine some life on it.

There seems to be a lot of variation between individual engines. My (petrol) Golf drank like a docker for the first 7k but seems to have settled down now that it is well run in. The wife's (identical) engine hasn't been topped up in the first 6k, nor has my (diesel) Passat.

If you have a big mileage and it is still drinking oil it might be worth keeping a closer eye on things or maybe checking for small leaks and weeps.

paul.mgrath
29-04-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't know if the engines have changed but my mate has 2 1.9tdi mk 4 golfs (his & hers 02 reg's) and neither have used a drop!!!.

However that is a valid point. If they use 1L/3000miles (as mine does) and the car goes for 14k as mine normally does between long life services. I believe the car has a 3 - 4 litre sump has it not just had an oil change???

peteo
30-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Thinking of Benzev's point above, that actually makes a great deal of sense to me. Years ago, when living and working in London, my car didn't get used a great deal. I do remember driving up to Scotland once in my ancient Triumph Herald which rarely needed top ups ordinarily, and it used a pint (those were the days!) in the return journey.

Obviously the long run had burnt off the crap in the oil.