PDA

View Full Version : Electric Door Mirror Switch Replacement

Rubens
21-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi,

Just had my car back after its MOT and have noticed the door mirror switch is now missing.

How difficult is it to replace the electric control knob that controls the door mirrors for both the left and right hand mirrors?

My vehicle is a 1999 1.8 se.

Hex69
22-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Hi,

Just had my car back after its MOT and have noticed the door mirror switch is now missing.

How difficult is it to replace the electric control knob that controls the door mirrors for both the left and right hand mirrors?

My vehicle is a 1999 1.8 se.

5 minute job. :D

Go and get one from the dealers (about £20) then prise out the old one carefully from top and bottom with a small screwdriver, undo the connector, and connect up the new one, the just push back in. Job done :biglaugh:

cazyp
22-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Go back to the MOT station and tell them to put yours back in. Don't take any cr4p.

Rubens
17-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks Guys,

I though it was easy just to get a new one fro mthe dealers than gop back to MOT station.(They would probably have denied it was them anyway). They have lost any future business from me now so it will cost them more in th long run.

Cost me about £20 and was easy to fit although it did leave a few scratches around the sides as it was not easy to pry out. I would recommend you take off the door panel and remove it from behind if you don't want any marks.

My car is fairly old so a few scratches didnt bother me.

davej
18-05-2009, 07:47 PM
It's a bit late but I just got one of these switches from Ebay for 99p + £6 post from Hong Kong. Took a week to arrive. It's perfect.

macquatic
18-05-2009, 10:05 PM
It's a bit late but I just got one of these switches from Ebay for 99p + £6 post from Hong Kong. Took a week to arrive. It's perfect.

Just waiting for mine to arrive too.
Obviously a Chinese copy but hey.......if it works ok.......bargain. :arms:Mac

onzarob
18-05-2009, 11:20 PM
it did leave a few scratches around the sides as it was not easy to pry out. I would recommend you take off the door panel and remove it from behind if you don't want any marks.

You need to remove the switch panel to remove the screws that hold the door card in.

A top tip to stop scratches is use a wide screwdriver or putty knife and cover it in insulating tape to stop it scratching ;)

mark78
19-05-2009, 09:39 AM

cheers been looking one of these for a while just placed a bid on flea bay

davej
19-05-2009, 08:01 PM
not actually fitted mine yet. Quality looks OE but just noticed its for a left hooker. Text is upsidedown. The case off the old switch looks like it will swap over. Might be worth asking the honky fiddy VAG supplier if they do rhd versions to save the hassel of this

macquatic
19-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, noticed it was LHD switch in the ad but didn't bother me.

mark78
Don't bid more than 99p, there's loads for sale from the same supplier.:) Mac

mark78
20-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Yes, noticed it was LHD switch in the ad but didn't bother me.

mark78
Don't bid more than 99p, there's loads for sale from the same supplier.:) Mac

got it for 99p cheers