PDA

View Full Version : Trade In Value

lozzermo
21-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I gave my local Audi dealer a call today - curious to see what the trade in value would be for my S Line - 58 plate. The list was ~£34k in Sept and I was quoted ~£20k!

Having lived in the real world for most of my life, I knew that there would be a big old drop (initial depreciation/vat/recession etc) - but not this much :aargh4:, not on an Audi.

I've had a quick look at the used section on the Audi website and they are selling similar spec cars for ~£28k. Does this sound the 'norm'. I'm not selling, just interested to see what i'd get (just in case the wife said I could have an S4 :biglaugh:)

dorosth
22-04-2009, 08:00 AM
you loose definetely the vat equivalent of approx 17% as soon as the car is registered and driven out of the dealer.
this is why i never buy new, nothing to do with affordability its just a much better deal.
Hope this helps.....

kodkod.84
22-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Yep let someone else take that big hit on depreciation when buying new.

But please spec it up so when I come to buy, I get all the toys still :biglaugh:

Crasher
22-04-2009, 11:12 AM
They lose 60 to 65% in three years with the biggest hit in the first year. What a car is selling for is no relation to what you will get for it trade in. I made the mistake of paying £13.5K for a new Polo, 14 months later I got £8K but they were on the forecourt for £10K+. Never ever ever again!

mkc
22-04-2009, 11:33 AM
This is why Ill be picking up a S4 in 3 years time when my lease expires.........

robtt09
22-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Guy at work drives an A8 with all the goodies pays Audi £465.00 per month and gets full services included! Has to keep miles under 10k per year and hands back after three years .Cheap motoring for such a car!

awtaylor
22-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Guy at work drives an A8 with all the goodies pays Audi £465.00 per month and gets full services included! Has to keep miles under 10k per year and hands back after three years .Cheap motoring for such a car!

He must have put down a significant deposit for that monthly outlay (guess around £10K plus) otherwise the figures just wouldn't stack up especially as A8s heavily depreciate. Even with 30K on the clock the figure you quote would go nowhere near funding the depreciation.

kodkod.84
22-04-2009, 03:23 PM
That's the problem I would have on a lease, keeping to the mileage limits. Friend has a Jaguar XF but won't drive it anywhere now as he is scared of going over the mileage limit- shame as it's such a gorgeous motor, I would want to be out driving it all the time.

Exactly how much do they sting you going over mileage anyway?

jakerade
22-04-2009, 05:45 PM
the A8 deal is a contract hire deal as i looked at it - i think it was 3 payments + 33 or something like that. Audi subsidise it to get cars on the road.

Only technicality is the horrific company car tax!

lozzermo
22-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Cheers folks - I knew the vat and a big chunk of the cash I paid for extras would come off as soon as I left the showroom. Just can't beat that new car feeling though!

onemanparty
22-04-2009, 08:48 PM
the A8 deal is a contract hire deal as i looked at it - i think it was 3 payments + 33 or something like that. Audi subsidise it to get cars on the road.

Only technicality is the horrific company car tax!

True but if you can afford an A8 company car tax does not matter.

RV on an Average A4 over 3yrs 60K is 41% approx so Crasher is spot on

dorosth
22-04-2009, 08:49 PM
thats exacly why you pay more "the new car feeling"...............some believe its worth it some dont:)

Jop
22-04-2009, 09:03 PM
I like to buy a car from new because with a list of options as long as Audi's, I get the car I want. Not the car someone else wanted then discarded when they were done with it.

74ns
23-04-2009, 08:57 AM
With all the discounts available (upto 15%) on buying new cars, it can't be a bad idea can it???

3 Years Warranty
3 Years Breakdown Cover (Hopefully never needed ;))
In Many cases you get the car you Spec. etc
New Tyres! New Wheels, nothing needs to be changed, repaired etc

With regards to trading in:

I had a BMW 328ci which according to prices in Autotrader were selling from anywhere around 3.5K to 5.5K depending on condition, Audi offered me 2.6k, I sold it within 2 weeks for 4K... Trading in with a main dealer has really got to be the worst option IMO.

But at the end of the day everybody sees things differently....

Nano Jake
23-04-2009, 10:02 AM
I bought my A4 brand new but planned to buy a used one, I managed to get a new B8 model for 1k more than a used B7 I had my eye on...

dorosth
23-04-2009, 10:24 AM
come on guys be real.
I bought my B7 20tfsi with 30k miles full audi service history etc from an audi dealer for £11k. it was 2.5years old. This car new was 26k. it now has a full year extended audi used car warranty and roadside assistance, and currently audi are offering 2 years warranty.
.............you can keep trying to persuade yourselves that new is "value for money" as for specing the car as you want it...... You can EASILY find exacly what you want when you look around in the used car section. I put an alert on the audi.co.uk website and within a month i found the exact spec i was after and paid 60% less than the price new.

dorosth
23-04-2009, 10:27 AM
........and one more thing, in 2-3 years i'll sell it to audi for 5-6k and pay an extra 5-6k and get the B8 MY2010 as i want it again......this is tried and tested.
all you gain for buying new as i mentioned above is the "new car feeling" which i live in London and doesnt stay new that long.....if yous see what i mean

Issac Hunt
23-04-2009, 03:31 PM
........and one more thing, in 2-3 years i'll sell it to audi for 5-6k and pay an extra 5-6k and get the B8 MY2010 as i want it again......this is tried and tested.
all you gain for buying new as i mentioned above is the "new car feeling" which i live in London and doesnt stay new that long.....if yous see what i mean

Thats exactly the way to do it IMO. However I do like the fact people are buying new though as it makes 2nd hand ones available for me!

Dropping 30k+ into a new Audi is just insane. Its only a means to get you from A to B!

You must be rich/mad for spending that much on one. If your rich then fair enough but I'd rather spend the extra money on a few extra holidays - much more enjoyable IMO!

lozzermo
23-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Thats exactly the way to do it IMO. However I do like the fact people are buying new though as it makes 2nd hand ones available for me!

Dropping 30k+ into a new Audi is just insane. Its only a means to get you from A to B!

You must be rich/mad for spending that much on one. If your rich then fair enough but I'd rather spend the extra money on a few extra holidays - much more enjoyable IMO!
You sure you're not my missus - exactly what she says. I'm not complaining about the loss - thankfully I only paid 29k for it. I'm not loaded either (would be if I did not buy new cars I guess ;)) Just wanted a B8 of a certain spec and could not wait 2-3 yrs for one that had depreciated to a sensible price.

CarbonS4
23-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Exactly how much do they sting you going over mileage anyway?

I was quoted 6p a mile recently, so not a huge payout for enjoying the car if you go over :D