PDA

View Full Version : Car vibration when accelarating, and other possibly relevant problems.

lucen
25-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Hi,
Got a Multitronic gearbox, on my A4 1.9 tdi.
Lately when I accelate no matter the rpm I get vibrations which vary in intensity (sometimes it feels like the car is shaking).
Its not only on the wheel. You can feel it wherever you are in the car.
Any ideas what might be wrong? Is it the gearbox? or could it be something else?
Additionally sometimes I hear a loud "click" noise coming from the right front wheel,
when I start accelareting while turning, but this does not seem to relate with the vibration which is constant during accelaretion.
When I lift my foot from the gas pedal the car runs smoothly..

Regards
Lucen

Niall76
25-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Sounds like a CV joint is away.

Best way to test this is to go to an empty car park (or any open space) stop the car, put into 1st, turn steering full lock and drive. If it's clicking away to itself then it's the CV joint. You'll be able to tell which side by listening.

I replaced one of mine - cost about £80 for the part, fitted for another 30 I seem to remember.

As for the vibrations, not sure. As it's only under power it could be an engine mount? Gearbox mount? You could stick the car in reverse and watch the gearsick, if it moves (and it could move a lot - like an inch or 2) then it's the gearbox mount. I had this in an old Golf of mine, but it didn't really vibrate?

bobbya4
05-01-2008, 08:21 PM
hi lucen - any luck detecting the vibration during acceleration in your A4 1.9 tdi? My '03 A4 is exhibiting the exact same symptoms....vibrations which vary in intensity, feel it in the steerimg wheel and entire car, occurs no matter what the rpm, and seems to ride smoothly when I take my foot off the gas pedal.

Any information would be great. My Audi dealer is puzzled. They have not seen this before.

Much appreciated, lucen...

-bobbya4

nickynibbles
08-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Could be a misfire, possibly a faulty glow plug? Have you done a vagcom check on the car? The multitronic gearbox is becoming famous for having various failures with it from the clutch going, to the gearbox's ecu needing replacement. Do a search on any Audi forum on multitronic and you'll find a good few posts relating to problems. If it is gearbox related your looking at a coupe of grand to get it sorted! Get a vagcom diagnostic done to see what problems that identifies.

andyroo
13-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi
I was told a common problem with these is that the flexi down pipe on the exhaust rusts up and siezes with time, this can cause vibrations thro the body.

I had a horrendous vibration at 4K revs and it turned out to be the dual mass flywheel. Luckily it was under warranty.

PS mines a multitronic as well seems that the most important thing with these gearboxes is to get the oil changed at NO MORE than 40K intervals.

Cheers
Andy.