PDA

View Full Version : Golf 2.8 v6 4motion probs

james1701
21-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Hi am new to this had a browse about and may of answered my question but to be on the safe side.

Problem 1
Car is very shudderish when first started at first thought was exhaust going, on closer inspection I found oil in 1 of the spark plugs, so i'm assuming my gasket has failed?

Problem 2
If sat stationary for a long period of time the car temp gauge rises and tells me to check coolant, there's plenty of coolant in the car however it appears the fan doesnt kick in! Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers

Crasher
21-04-2009, 03:48 PM
The oil in the plug bore is normal and nothing to worry about, we just blast it out when doing plugs before removing the plug. What year is your car? You need to have a fault code read done but the cooling fan problem will be one of the strip fuses on top of the battery has blown. After replacing the fuse it will soon blow again and this is because the main fan is faulty. We always replace both fans and it is quite an expensive job as the parts are over £300 and the front of the car has to be removed/slide back to change them. This is a very common problem on the 150PD TDI, 2.3 V5, 2.8V6 and R32 as they all use the same fans. If you continue to drive it like this, you will damage the engine.

james1701
21-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey thanks, I've just changed the fuse there was one blown. I've also had a look at oil in the plugs theres only oil in one of the spark plug bays and the coil that plugs into this spark plug appears broken as the copper wire has pulled out and even though I pushed it all back together it doesnt sit properly and gets very very hot. So i'm assuming if I replace this I'm back to driving again lol

james1701
21-04-2009, 04:08 PM
forgot to mention its a 2003 with 120k on the clock. cheers

Crasher
21-04-2009, 06:30 PM
You need a new coil pack. If that fuse had blown you will need new fans.