PDA

View Full Version : Greetings.....and a couple of questions

cs2009
21-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi All,

After owning 6 Audis in succession, I have just ordered a new Golf GT TSI.

I was hugely impressed by the combination of refinement, quietness, handling and build quality, all of which are a significant improvement on my A3. The engine is an absolute gem, and only marginally slower than my current 2.0T, but considerably more economical.

I have spec'd the car up quite well, including the RCD510 + Dynaudio sound system. Is it also worth getting the DAB upgrade, or is coverage still too patchy to bother with ?

Also, is the Winter pack worth having ?

Cheers,
Chris.

Blackthorn
21-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Not sure about the DAB, but personally I think heated seats are fantastic, so I would say the winter pack was well worth it just for that.

nokiauk
21-04-2009, 07:24 PM
if you get DAB you lose the MFD for your mp3 player/ipod

I'd choose winter pack al the time, esp for the heated seats, I'd also choose at least the conv pack if not the luxury one

cs2009
22-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Good point about the iPod interface.

I'm getting the standard alcantara seats, so didn't think there would be much benefit from heated seats (?). I am getting the convenience pack however.

CharlesCourtney
22-04-2009, 10:03 AM
I have spec'd the car up quite well, including the RCD510 + Dynaudio sound system. Is it also worth getting the DAB upgrade, or is coverage still too patchy to bother with ?

I have the RCD510 and got the DAB as a FOC upgrade from VW for having to wait so long for my car (order placed April 08 for Sept delivery, car delivered Dec) and find it's coverage in and around London near perfect, really built up areas can be a problem sometimes - The sound quality over FM is fantastic - you really notice it when it does sometimes loose DAB and switches automatically to the same station on FM.

The other thing you lose is TIM (the clever thing that saves the last few traffic news reports) however (in London anyway - but think it is national) there is a dedicated Traffic DAB station which is as good. The other thing I did was buy the RDS-Trafic add-on for my TomTom but to be honest the DAB Traffic station is better than that.

As for loosing the Ipod connection option, again I would not worry about that - just get yourself a 8 or 16 GB SD card and put all your music on that in mp3 format (you can get software that converts the iTunes mpa (?) format to mp3) and the whole thing is a lot cheaper and no Ipod left in the car for someone to pintch ! The one thing I would say when buying a SD card is get a black one - my blue one is rather obvious !

Also, is the Winter pack worth having ?

Hmmm - heated seats - that will be YES imo!

jay89
22-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Can you confirm that an 8gb sd card works then? The manual says a max of 2gb so I haven't risked buying a bigger one yet.

knt
22-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Check your manual for SD specification on your device and use this link to check for the maximum SD size compatability for your unit

http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/

hope that helps.

CharlesCourtney
22-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Can you confirm that an 8gb sd card works then? The manual says a max of 2gb so I haven't risked buying a bigger one yet.

I can confirm I am using a 8GB SDHC card - my manual under Data Media (page 27) says :

* The unit can read SD memory cards [snip] with capacity of up to 2 GB. The unit does not support other memory cards [snip] such as SDHC cards

* The unit also supports SDHC memory cards [snip] with a capacity of up to 32 GB

which is as clear as mud - but I think as long as it says the last point, i think you should be ok to ignore the paragraph above it and if it does not work go back to VW.