PDA

View Full Version : ABS Light Remains On

radiaa
21-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi - the ABS light has started to remain continously lit on my car (6yrs old with 30k miles)

From previously owning a Passat with a similair fault a few years back, I recall this is quite a common - usually down to a dirty/faulty sensor (think I changed the ECU unit last time but unsure ..)

Assume something similair for Alhambra's also - can anyone help or provide guidance. ?Would it be worthwhile getting a fault code readout perhaps ? If so, any reccomendations where to go - I am based in NW London (Northwood Hills)

Many thanks - Ameet

Crasher
21-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes, get a fault code read done, any decent garage can do this.

radiaa
11-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Hi - managed to get a reading done - fault code returned was

speed sensor front right G45

from a quick chat with a mechanic last night my understanding is that this is a sensor that sits behind the right front wheel and is a closed unit ie all you can do is replace it

any ideas if he was correct ? if so, any ideas as to what the replacement part would be/would cost and how I would go about replacing it (am hoping this is a straighfoward jack the car up, take the wheel off and replace sensor job rather than a going to a garage to get it done )

many thanks ....Ameet

Crasher
11-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Yes, sounds good but the old sensor can be a swine to get out and the new one difficult to get in as the hole will be corroded and will need cleaning out.

radiaa
12-05-2009, 06:54 PM
ok, thanks - balancing time (v.important) /hassle/ cost of trying to do it myself vs getting a garage to do it , which would you reccomend ?

Crasher
12-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Do you know what you are doing and have the tools?

radiaa
13-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Tools I am ok. Know what I am doing - other than jacking up the car and knowing I have to take the front wheel off, in this case sadly no.

Preference would be to do it myself if strraighfwd so I can learn but ifs a half day job for me to do and getting it done in a garage would only cost say 50quid then I will prob do the lattter as time is a problem for me (3 kids, 4th on the way ..need I say more)

Any more info/instruction would be appreciated so I can make a call. Thanks