PDA

View Full Version : Dsg

bilen123
21-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi People

Picked up a 1.4TSI 122 DSG. Can't fault the car (so far) other than the fact that the DSG does not behave like a conventional auto - even with hill start enabled.
Yes, it creeps forward ok on level ground and changes up and down ok BUT, and it is a very big BUT for the wife, it does not do hill starts well.

Being an auto (like her old Mark4 auto) you would expect it hill start normally - infact you have about 2s to hit the throttle from the brake before it rolls back - and then you need to be careful such that you do not take off in the process - dangeerous if you have anoother car in front!

Problem for the wife and took me by suprise when I drive it from the dealer.

I am sure with will be an issue with the older generation (without being too unkind)

Dealer says it's the way DSG works AND that they can not change the delay on the hill start - basically nothing they can do.

We were unaware of this fact. They did dig out some literature indicating the 2s delay before it rolls back (but that came later after when we went to pick up the car).

Don't know where I stand legally as the car for us it not fit for purpose. Not sure if we can hand it back legally and demand our money back?

BEWARE:- If the car infront is a VW DSG and you arte on a hill KEEP YOUR DISTANCE

nokiauk
21-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Sorry if I'm missing the point but I drive a Saab Auto at the moment if I run into any problems I use the old fallback thats been around for years called a handbrake.

Sometime I also use my left foot on the brake so my right is free for the accelerator.

I don't think this is a design problem as in not fit for purpose, more a driving technique problem.

CharlesCourtney
21-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Being an auto (like her old Mark4 auto) you would expect it hill start normally - infact you have about 2s to hit the throttle from the brake before it rolls back - and then you need to be careful such that you do not take off in the process - dangeerous if you have anoother car in front!

Problem for the wife and took me by suprise when I drive it from the dealer.

As you know by now the DSG is not a auto box in the traditional scene - even the DVLA classes it as a semi-auto - it is why it is more efficient than the standard gearbox on the same engine.

I have had the 122BP/7sp DSG since Dec and have not had any problems or near miss - as nokiauk said if you have an issue use the handbrake but I cant recall once in 3.5k miles that I have needed to - still by far the best engine and gearbox combination about for the money (and quite a bit more) !

If the delay was any longer than 2s it could get annoying - there are times when , for example parking, that I do want the car to role back a bit.

bilen123
21-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Actually, I agree with you...problem is convincing the wife....

To be fair she has had 4 different cars in 10 years ....Micra, Astra, Mark4 golf and the new Freelander...all of which have been auto and ALL which did not roll back so she (and me fo rthaty matter) were oblivious to the fact that autos can work in a different way
(Incidentally, I drive a BMW 330i auto and mine does not roll back on a hill either)
So for the last 10 yrs she's been driving with this setup and when decided recently to go back to a tried and trusted golf ....little did she know if would work differently!

CharlesCourtney
21-04-2009, 02:00 PM
To be fair she has had 4 different cars in 10 years ....Micra, Astra, Mark4 golf and the new Freelander...all of which have been auto and ALL which did not roll back so she (and me fo rthaty matter) were oblivious to the fact that autos can work in a different way
(Incidentally, I drive a BMW 330i auto and mine does not roll back on a hill either)
So for the last 10 yrs she's been driving with this setup and when decided recently to go back to a tried and trusted golf ....little did she know if would work differently!

I may not have made it very clear, mine does role if you leave it for the 2 secs, but I got on with it from day one, before I got my current Golf Plus i had a 1.6 with 6 speed non-dsg Auto and find it much better to drive.

It is strange you should drive a 330i - as the only engine/gearbox I have enjoyed driving as much or maybe even more than the 122/7spDSG was a BMW 328i auto - but that may have been the Autobarn I was driving it on !

bilen123
21-04-2009, 02:13 PM
It's that 2s delay which is not long enough (apparently). I agree with her we would much prefer it would hold all the time as did the old auto. What I don't understand is it creeps on level ground so why does it no creep on a gradient and then stop (in drive without pressing the brake) because the car is trying to move forward but the gradient is cancelling it out

With regars to my beamer - used to be manual (I also had a 328i!) but the wife wanted to drive it so when I upgraded it to a 330 (was going for a 325 but the price/performance/consumption made me opt for a 330) I chose auto.....and it's been fanatasic (mind you I have slowed down a bit which means I don't need a manual to rip through the gears)

CharlesCourtney
21-04-2009, 03:14 PM
It's that 2s delay which is not long enough (apparently). I agree with her we would much prefer it would hold all the time as did the old auto. What I don't understand is it creeps on level ground so why does it no creep on a gradient and then stop (in drive without pressing the brake) because the car is trying to move forward but the gradient is cancelling it out

I can only assume it is due to potentials for damage or ware to the clutches.

Have just had cause to use the car and paid more attention to how I drive it and noticed that on a number of starts i changed feet and held the brake with the left foot which freed up the right to move onto the accelerator.

That may help, but you do so at own risk !

CharlesCourtney
28-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Now you have had the car for 6 weeks or so - how are you getting on with the DSG ?

zoom
01-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Hi all. I have just joined this fine forum & left a 'first newbie post' intro elsewhere if anyone cares to read it.

Anyway - I have a Citroen C2 1.6 VTR with what's called the 'Sensodrive' gearbox, ie; very similar to the 1.4 TSi Golf DSG. Having driven many old-style 'true' automatics over the years (and bearing in mind I only have an automatic licence due to a disability), when I took delivery of the C2 almost 3 years ago - I was a tad apprehensive about the Sensodrive box as it does indeed 'roll back' on a hill/slope - and also it does not creep forward like a conventional automatic. Within (literally) a couple of days I became very accustomed to this & found no problems whatsoever with this 'new style' box. As someone else has stated; all I do on a hill/slope is engage the handbrake! Easy really.

I am so impressed infact that I am shortly ordering a new Golf Mk6 1.4 SE DSG - very similar to the C2's characteristics. If Citroen hadn't stopped making the C2 1.6 VTR Sensodrive - I'd probably have ordered another identical car! But there's no way I'm driving about in a 1.4 C2 'stop & start' - not even on the Motability scheme!!!

bilen123
02-06-2009, 12:40 PM
She is actually used to it now....I think she is a liitle nervous when she is nose-tail on hills and ends up using the handbrake. I drive it sometimes and must admit I still roll back a few inches as on hills but overall I like it.
Actually the golf DSG is a great motor

Now we are investigating the MPG - the real reason we bought the car
So far averaging 32mpg which is not great as the book says 36.7 but she's only do 700 miles (urban only) so it's too early to tell

nebw
02-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Hi Billen,

That mpg sounds right to me for the first 700 miles in urban driving.

My 2.0tdi dsg has 8k miles on the clock but still only gives 40mpg max round town.

CharlesCourtney
02-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Good - glad she likes it - I get about 32-34 mpg (in the golf plus) again mostly commuting - did however get my first 400 mile tank last week and am more than happy with the economy.

bilen123
02-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Need to fil up tomorrow so near th end of next month I will tell you if I have come close to or surpassed the 400 mile tank. Your's is diesel so I would expect it to, mine is petrol so lets see
Thanks for the feedback.

CharlesCourtney
02-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Need to fil up tomorrow so near th end of next month I will tell you if I have come close to or surpassed the 400 mile tank. Your's is diesel so I would expect it to, mine is petrol so lets see
Thanks for the feedback.

No mine is the 1.4 TSI (122) petrol with the 7 speed DSG

bilen123
02-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Sorry confused you with the last blogger who had a 2.0TDi (he gets 40mpg urban). I will lt you know what I get

Robbie G
02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
bilen123

1. Clearly you didn't test drive the car before buying it. This is surprising to say the least.

2. If your wife takes more than 2 seconds to move her foot from the brake to the throttle, at which point she engages the throttle so hard that she propels the car into the vehicle in front, then she shouldn't be driving!

;)

bilen123
03-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Robbie,
1. Point 1
Fair enough but.... Having owned a VW Golf auot (mk4) in the past and a number of other Auto which all behanve in a 'normal' auto fashion we did not really think we needed to. Besides you try getting hold of a DSG to test drive - no chance!

2. Point2
Women drivers I would initially say, but myself (driving for aboout 20yrs having owned a variety of cars.....BMW 330 Auto, X5 Auto, TVR, TR6, Astra auto, focus auto, so my eperience is pretty extensive, I, I repeat I found the experience in the DSG strange AND still, when I occasiomnally get my hands on it, find it strange.....MAYBE, by your reckoning, I SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING either