PDA

View Full Version : 170, DPF and Engine Management light

shudman
20-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Now, I know there are multiple threads going around the Internet concerning this, but haven't seen any on here and am polling for others...

So, to recap:
170BHP engines with DPF (not just limited to Passats) are having issues whereby the DPF is not re-generating correctly and when taking it to a ******* they are replacing the exhaust pressure sensor and "updating" the ECU software . The effect of updating the software is reportedly reduced power, and some are even reporting that it is limiting the engine to 155BHP.

Certainly VW customer services are aware of an issue with certain batches of Passat (mine included) and they are asking the ******** to follow a precise set of instructions to correct the fault. My DPF/Engine Mgmt light has been on twice now in 6 months, and unfortunately for myself, the 2nd time it was in for repair (4 days ago), they updated the software as part of that repair process. My car now lacks any punch whatsoever in 1st and 2nd, even my wife has noticed it. Motorway cruising lacks that infamous 170 punch when florring it. The turbo seems almost non-existent, first gear has even less punch than it had before (which was poor originally!). It just seems like a flat ol' diesel now :mad:
It is back in the dealer tomorrow, and I am fearing that they will say "no faults found", although I think tempers will flair.

There have been a plethora of reports on the Golf, Seat & Audis...but have an interesting read of this http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/264896.aspx

So...be aware and make sure they do not update your software!

shudman
21-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Well, the car is back from the dealer and they kind of said "no faults found".

The master VW technician explained that there is a TPI from VW that they had to follow for this problem as it is a known issue. He had spoken at length with VW UK about this on my behalf and assured me that the BHP had not been altered in any way (as they would be sued...his words, not mine!).
So....what does the ECU update do to change the performance of the car ? He explained that this update changes the range in which the throttle adapts for the DPF (enhances the DPF regeneration process), and because the throttle is not actually cable driven, it can detect how hard/fast you hit the pedal. He was saying that the way that the car reacts now will be different due to this throttle mapping. Basically floor the pedal every time and you should get the same response as before the ECU update. Now...it did sound a little odd to me, and maybe I am being spun a yarn. VW UK believe that this is a far better mapping and after a few weeks of driving you wouldn't want to go back....maybe just because you've forgotten what it was like originally. I am not convinced.

Yarn or truth ?

crox
24-04-2009, 12:02 PM
this is worrying ... my Passat has just been test driven by RAC, and guess what?!

Yep, the exhaust pressure sensor is playing up.

The part is on back-order, but a courtesy car will be sorted (like for like apparently!).

The thought of losing power is worrying, and I will kick up a real fuss if it is significant.