PDA

View Full Version : Question Wing mirror indicator

MK5
20-04-2009, 07:26 PM
I have a 1.9 tdi Golf and the drivers side wing mirror indicator has stopped working.

It is not the fuse as I have checked so it must be the bulb.

I assumed that all you have to do is take the cover off and replace the bulb right?? I cant take the bleedin thing off and the mechanics are too scared to take it off as they say they may 'break it'. Bunch of sissys.

I was told that I would need a new strip and that you cant just replace the bulb?!?

Could someone shed some light on this matter and has anyone changed theirs?

RickT
20-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a 1.9 tdi Golf and the drivers side wing mirror indicator has stopped working.

It is not the fuse as I have checked so it must be the bulb.

I assumed that all you have to do is take the cover off and replace the bulb right?? I cant take the bleedin thing off and the mechanics are too scared to take it off as they say they may 'break it'. Bunch of sissys.

I was told that I would need a new strip and that you cant just replace the bulb?!?

Could someone shed some light on this matter and has anyone changed theirs?

You can replace the bulb.. you dont have to buy the full unit.

Rick

MK5
20-04-2009, 07:41 PM
You can replace the bulb.. you dont have to buy the full unit.

Rick

Cheers Rick. Why was I told that it is leds and that the whole strip would need replacing then?? Never mind.

Would you know how to remove the cover to get to the bulb?

shaft-50
20-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Im sure yours will be the same as the ones on mine.

The safest and possibly best way to do use the 'how to guide' to take it apart but a quick ref is to remove the glass/wing mirror first by pulling it out from the top or bottom once mirror has been adjusted to sky or floor. This will reveal the behind the scenes mechanics. There are some screws to remove which then allows you to remove the mirror casing/indicator lense. It is fairly simple, just need to be gentle with it as you could break the glass or clips etc. Hope this helps !

dod1e
21-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Mine both went within a couple of days of each other.

They have a couple of small LEDs in them which cant be replaced individualy, need the whole lamp unit, about £17 from VW.

Proceed as described above, but once you get the glass off, then you will also need to get the outer casing off, it is held on by plastic catches which IIRC cant really be seen from the front even with the glass removed.

Need something quite thin, like a narrow paint scraper with a layer of tape to save your paint work, insert between the indicator unit and the casing at the front, angle up and move from side to side to try and unhook the catches.

A while now since I did it, so cant remember exactly. I have a haynes manual which i followed, wasnt the best description but it got me there in the end.

shaft-50
21-04-2009, 06:23 PM
i have a pair of the clear ones if you interested in buying them as i replaced mine with the in.pro smoked ones. if interested PM me and we can come to some arranagement for one or both. cheers

Ben
22-04-2009, 11:07 PM
there is a good how to guide on here somewhere. i saw it recently. it involves stripping the whole mirror down.

Ben
22-04-2009, 11:08 PM
here it is

http://oempl.us/diy/article_info.php?articles_id=25&osCsid=40a518f49548de01e7a9bb2888f9e84b