PDA

View Full Version : A3 2.0 tdi aircon shows econ ?

shawn2630
20-04-2009, 06:32 PM
hello after a bit of help please.
i have a 54 plate 2005 a3 and the aircon is working intermitently typical now the weather has come good..
after a short period of time the ECON light comes on and i cant switch it off and the air temp starts warming up ,,, i pressumed it may just need a regas so i have had it fully done vacumned out pressure tested new oil and a full recharge on the system and it still dont work.
Anybody got any ideas on anything else it could be please ?
cheers in advance.:beerchug:

kite
20-04-2009, 11:25 PM
Could be the pressure switch.

shawn2630
21-04-2009, 08:56 AM
cheers kite, next one then any idea where the pressure switch is ?
cant believe the weather is so hot here and its decided to play up :zx11:

kite
21-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Not sure, think its on the compressor, have a search on the forum for threads explaining where it is.

shawn2630
22-04-2009, 01:06 AM
right its fixed :beerchug: after a full day and a lot of brainstorming.

its a weird one but here goes the fault is
the throttle body (IMF inlet manifold flap valve) now your thinking how the hell does that stop the aircon ???
well here goes :- inside the imf there is a motor that sticks which causes fuse F8 in the fusebox under the bonnet too blow this fuse also supplies power to the ecu that controls the fans under the bonnet so because they are not working the aircon which when its running gets hot and needs to be cooled by the aircon rad via the fans and cold air flow whilst driving, as the fans are not working it over heats and goes into safe mode = ECON light comes on to say it has turned itself off.
now thats not the only problem in my case it also put the engine management light on because the imf had gone down but the real problem is the car if stood in traffic or going slowly it can overheat with no cooling fans going not a good situation.

Its a pretty easy part too change its held on with 3 allen bolts, to remove it pull the plastic engine cover off and the imf is at the front on the intake manifold where the thick rubber boost intake hose goes in.
To remove the old one pull the metal clip out that holds the pipe in place and pull out the pipe then undo the 3 allen bolts and the wiring plug and its off just refit the new one in the reverse order replace fuse F8 and voila all fixed.
euro car parts were priced very reasonably at £190 for the part and the gaskets included, looking about an hour if that to remove and refit it.

heres a temporary fix to make the care safe in my opinion whilst waiting for the part, simply unplug the wiring plug off the imf and cable tie it up somewhere so it doesnt drop down or worse get stuck in the electric fans, then replace fuse F8 this will get the fans working under the bonnet again keeeping the engine from boling its nuts off and also will make the aircon work again, this is a temporary fix and i recomend getting it fixed asap and it will put the management light on and may idle erratically ( which if your car idles erratically or lumpy when in park or netrual then chance are this part is on its way out its the first signs)

hope this may be of some help too other members and i did say it was a weird one lol :beerchug:

Formy
31-05-2011, 05:07 PM
OMG you are a GENIUS!!!!!!!

YOU saved me a trip to Audi!!!

I had this valve changed by a local garage and he noticed the Aircon light had come on. He was unable to fix it for me due to time and the fact I needed the car to go on holiday. Upon my return and many failed attempts with my VAGCOM to find the problem, to no avail.

I found and changed the fuse and changed it and everything now works!