PDA

View Full Version : Falken 452, Avon ZZ3 or Toyo T1R?

coolio
20-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Similar price so which tyre is best to go for? It's for a B6 Cab.

hongkongstuey
20-04-2009, 09:20 AM
i found falkens too soft, ddint even last 7k miles, mine were 912's though, had zz3's on my old car and didnt find them to be very grippy, but it was a rubbish car, have pirelli powergys on at the moment and they are brilliant!!! think ive done 12k on them and have at least 5k left on them, was a lot of roundabouts every day.

M4N1
20-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Based on my exerpeince, not much grip with Falkens, probably the worst out of those 3. Toyo's are excellent tyres, I've had them on most of my cars at some point. Supreme handling and road holding ability but they dont last as long as some other brands. Not much experience with Avon's, from what i've heard they come close to toyo's on handling, but will last longer.

Hope this helps.

coolio
20-04-2009, 11:44 AM
This helps a lot, thanks :beerchug:

Corb2000
20-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I'd think about Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta instead, these are comparable with the Toyos and others price wise but have rave reviews up there with Goodyear F1s.

I'm just about to kit my B6 cabrio out with the Vredesteins in 235/40/18s, best supply only price is Elite
http://www.elitedirect.com/tyres.php
and best fitted price is Mytyres
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/All-Season_Tyres.html

Toyos and Avons have both been ok for me in the past on other cars such as Golf GTI and MX5 but I've no experience of the Falkens.

pete99
22-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Just a note about Toyo T1R.
I had to get 2 new fron tyres yesterday-re- MOT.
Looked on line -read reviews and decided to go for toyo T1R.
£100 a corner .
Today while sorting out other things on car- I noticed Toyo were Directional Tyres .
Anyone got any views on this ?.:confused:

coolio
23-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I think it disperses the water or something like that. No idea what difference it makes in day to day use. The dunlop 9090 are directional too - your car may be supplied with those when new?

Just means you cannot easily switch from left to right once fitted to the alloy/wheel.

zollaf
23-04-2009, 05:50 PM
a directional tyre throws the water out of both sides of the tread, thus making them theoretically better in the wet with less chance of aquaplaning. if you put them on backwards, the water will be pushed into the middle of the tread, increasing the risk of aquaplaning. once fitted though, a radial tyre should always stay on that side of a car, directional or not, so this isnt an issue. the spare should be a non directional tyre though.

coolio
23-04-2009, 05:56 PM
My B6 brand new spare is directional Dunlop 9090

zollaf
24-04-2009, 08:37 AM
you gotta hope you get a puncture on the right side then.if you do need to fit it backwards, be very careful in the wet, and get it sorted asap. i cannot understand why manufacturers do this. a car will fail the mot if tyres rotate the wrong way. ( if the tester spots it)