PDA

View Full Version : Back door is jammed shut on Golf MK IV

maclure-e
19-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello
We have a VW Golf MK IV and for a while we noticed that the central locking had been ocassionally failing on the back door (behind the driver).
Unfortunately now the problem has got much worse... the door is locked
and will not unlock no matter what we do. We can't open it from the outside or from the inside. Please help.

batteryman
20-04-2009, 03:22 PM
You need to drop the back seats and get into the boot. There are two screws holding the tailgate inner cover (inside the recessed handles) and if these are removed the tailgate cover can be carefully prised away from the tailgate to access the lock mechanism. Once you have access you can release the tailgate manually. The problem is usually caused by the rear washer pipe leaking onto the lock mechanism and there are lots of posts concerning this problem if you search.

maclure-e
20-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi there it is the back door that is jammed shut not the actual boot. I have managed to remove the inside panel and I can see the electric window motor etc but I still can't get to the door locking mechanism to open the door. Help

maclure-e
20-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Can you attach a photo ? I don't really understand sorry

kenney
20-04-2009, 04:50 PM
You must remove the carrier plate to access the lock,you must release the widow from the carrier plate.To do this, lower the window to height of installation hole in assembly carrier and remove spreader pins.Send your e-mail address if you dont understand

maclure-e
20-04-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi... my e-mail address is :
I have a photo which I can send to help if needed. Thanks

dtmorgan
02-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Kenny,

Grateful if you can PM me the window spreader details from this problem, I seem to have the same!

Thanks

dtmorgan
03-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Kenney,

Can't PM you as I don't have enough posts yet.
If you have any info on how to smash the lock with hammer and long screwdriver to open the door I'd also be interested.

Thanks again!

kenney
03-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Reading through the posts is it the tailgate or one of the rear doors you are having a problem with??

dtmorgan
03-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Its the rear nearside passenger door, looks like the deadlock is stuck engaged, so the door looks like it unlocks but won't budge. Looks like someone's already had a go, as the outer handle cover pulls out easily and you can see the lock body. I've got the door card off but can't get the inner window assembly out as I can't get to the outer torx bolts!