PDA

View Full Version : Am I damaging my engine?

dieseljames
18-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Hi, I have a 140 tdi sport - it currently has 66K, I brought it back in Aug '08 with 62k on the clock meaning in the 9 months i have owned it i have put on about 4k. Most of the mileage i do is a 4/5 mile commute to Uni three times per week- city roads 40/30mph but mostly stop/start in rush hour.

A few people have mentioned that diesels like to be used, and that I could be putting strain on mine through lack of use - is this correct? Is there anything that I can watch out for?

I dont really want to have to take it for a spin just to clock the miles up, ultimately i dont really want to get rid of the car as who knows what sort of milage i will be doing after uni, and it is a cracking car!

DieselJames.

Cylon2007
18-04-2009, 10:32 PM
to be honest by the sound of your driving the Passat is really overkill, however as you rightly say it's a nice car so just take it out for a decent drive every couple of weeks. 50 miles or so so it gets properly hot all through including the exhaust.

Quatrelle
19-04-2009, 08:11 PM
You certainly won't be doing it any good with short drives. More frequent oil changes are a must, and as Cylon2007 says, give it a run. Rev it out in the lower gears whenever you get the chance, and ideally find a really steep hill to make it work.

Have a look at your oil filler cap to see if there are any deposits that look like mayonnaise - not a good sign.

I never drive less than 10 miles in mine, even if it means going round the long way to get somewhere.

dieseljames
19-04-2009, 08:45 PM
:D Thanks for the responses- much appreciated. I will check the filler cap tomorrow in the light - it was fine a couple weeks ago but I will be more vigilant from now on - and will find excuses to drive it more!:beerchug:

drmartin
20-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Have a look at your oil filler cap to see if there are any deposits that look like mayonnaise - not a good sign.

That only happens if you have water getting in the engine...

M

ionic
20-04-2009, 07:51 AM

M

Yes, but alot of short start stop journeys can also cause this as the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off moisture, so it can build up over a period of time and contaminate the oil.

As others have said, try to get it hot on some longer runs, and rev it a bit when driving.

james_tiger_woo
20-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Occasional long journeys are a must for any car, but especially modern diesels that need time and a run to warm up properly - short journeys are ok, but try to ensure you mix it in with the occasional long run.

PS, since when do students have Passats :) (I'm just jealous as I didn't have a car at all at uni!)

Quatrelle
20-04-2009, 10:41 AM

M
M - Ionic is simply expanding the point I was making.

dieseljames
20-04-2009, 11:19 AM
PS, since when do students have Passats :) (I'm just jealous as I didn't have a car at all at uni!)

I worked for 6 years before joining uni so had some savings (and the all important no claims bonus!)

Big thanks to all for putting my mind at ease - I was starting to get paranoid about the health of my car!

martin1810
20-04-2009, 01:38 PM
I was told that the Gremlins that cause car trouble fall off if you drive faster........Honestly officer. :D

Spudrig
20-04-2009, 04:12 PM

I'm a student too James and I've got one :D

Cylon2007
20-04-2009, 06:25 PM

M

you always get water in an engine when you run it, it's condensation caused by the temperature difference of the cold engine and the hot combustion. If you don't run the engine long enough to be thoroughly hot you will not evaporate all the water that has condensed thereby leaving water in the oil which emulsifies hence the mayo in the oil cap.