PDA

View Full Version : Replacing wing mirror glass

crx_paul
05-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Hello, I am new to the forum :Blush:

Have had a B5 97 1.9 TDi for a few months now and all has been well so far (apart from warped front discs).

The other night some scrote nicked the mirror glass out of the passenger side wing mirror. Went to halfords for a replacement, but they appear only to be stick on jobs - there are wires with spade connectors on the mirror unit which I assume plug into a heater element on the mirror glass.

Anyone been here before? I haven't tried dealer or scrappy yet, but would rather know if and what I should be looking for over and above the glass bit, eg is there a bracket on the back that fits to the plastic ring in the recess (I can upload a photo of the mirrorless mirror if that would help).

stuart
05-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi

If you upload a picture, I will have a look and see whats missing, you can get a glass cheaper from GSF or Euro Car Parts.

Stuart

crx_paul
06-01-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks Stuart.

I found a how to on audipages last night which pretty much shows what my mirrorless mirror looks like.

http://www.audipages.com/upgrades/chromemirrorold.html

About halfway down under the install instructions shows the bit I have missing. Halfords glass doesn't have the round bit that clips onto the mechanism or the bullet connectors for the heated glass. I assume because the halfords glass is just a stickover replacement for broken rather than missing glass.

A quick scoot over to Europarts and there appears to be mirror glass and plastic backing, 490440460 and 489441400 respectively, but no images. Do you reckon that the plastic backing is the bit on the back of the mirror that I will need to fix it to the mechanism - the bit that you can see on the back of the mirror glass in the image below:

http://www.pccchicago.com/images/paul/mp4.JPG

Edit: just spoken to someone at Europarts and it sounds like the mirror glass comes with the round bit and connectors - price at £23 reflects that it's heated.

Edit2: Mirror glass arrived this morning and it has the ring and electrical connectors on the back :o

thanks for your help

Paul