PDA

View Full Version : stick turbo vanes

boidy
18-04-2009, 12:48 PM
it's been suggested that i may be suffering from sticky turbo vanes, my question is this, on Thursday i did a 421 mile round trip involving a lot of motorway on route to London and Leeds,speeds of up to 85 mph and economy of 53.6 mpg.( it never skipped a beat) could this run possibly have given the turbo a good clean ?

martin1810
18-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Difficult to see how you can have a turbo fault with those performance figures. Doubt you would get 85mph without waiting all day. I would give it a regular high rev run and see how it goes. good luck

cazyp
19-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Give it a good italian tune up every so often. Keeps them vanes a moving!

zollaf
19-04-2009, 12:10 AM
typical symptom of sticking vanes is loss of power when you give it some welly. you then stop. turn off the engine, restart ands its all ok again.

cazyp
19-04-2009, 09:51 PM
typical symptom of sticking vanes is loss of power when you give it some welly. you then stop. turn off the engine, restart ands its all ok again.

I'd have to say IME that is not a typical sympton of sticky vanes, but rather a typical symptom of a vacuum leak or faulty MAP.
If however the vanes are sticking then they need to be cleaned. Invotec/oven cleaner or turbo off and a strip down/scrub. HTH.