PDA

View Full Version : Octavia TDI PD & non PD?

TDi_B5
18-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Hi, can someone explain the different engine fitted to the Octavia from around 2000 - 2004. If I'm correct, the vast majority have the 1.9 TDI 110, also fitted in the Golf, Bora etc. And this is a non PD engine? Is it a common rail diesel? It seems that only the late Octavia around 2004 (not the new shape ones) have the 1.9 TDI PD 130 engine which has a 6 speed gearbox.

Thanks.

zollaf
18-04-2009, 11:51 AM
the earlier cars had the non pd engine, and this is a rotary pump type. this can be identified by having a bosch pump on the left front of the engine, with 4 metal pipes going to the injectors, sitting in the front of the head, and a normal looking camcover. this is the design most manufactures used last century. the pd engines then came in , and these are identified by having a wider camcover, looking like a twin cam engine, and no rotary pump. the pd design was then supeseded by the common rail engine.

paul b
18-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Hi, can someone explain the different engine fitted to the Octavia from around 2000 - 2004. If I'm correct, the vast majority have the 1.9 TDI 110, also fitted in the Golf, Bora etc. And this is a non PD engine? Is it a common rail diesel? It seems that only the late Octavia around 2004 (not the new shape ones) have the 1.9 TDI PD 130 engine which has a 6 speed gearbox.

Thanks.
Zollaf has stated the technical workings of the various engines above.

The earlier TDIs, like the 110bhp variants you're looking at have an engine referred to as a "VE" engine. My 2000 Skoda Octavia TDI 110bhp has a VE engine. :) So the TDI 110 is neither PD or CR.

Then the PDs came along, eventually superceeded by the CR as Zollaf says.

TDi_B5
18-04-2009, 04:54 PM
I see, thats kind of what I thought. The engine is pretty similar to the one in my passat in that case. Does the VE refer to the type of fuel pump, a rotary one I believe? All the figures for the Ocatvia TDI estate and the Passat TDI estate (B5) are identical, same displacement, torque figures, bhp, emissions and mpg, only difference being the insurance groups and the Octavia is lighter than the Passat. I'm quite tempted by an Octavia estate, looks great, good alternative to a Passat, insurance group 7 compared with 11 for the Passat and it falls into a very cheap tax bracket (£120pa) Not sure if it'll be much of an upgrade on the Passat though in terms of power etc.