PDA

View Full Version : CCM again.......

Grizzly
18-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Hello all.

Before i start i'd like to say hello, i wish i was joining your forum on a better note but i'm having CCM problems.

Before you all start telling me there are hundreds of posts about this i have been reading them for the last four hours and been searching every day for what seems like weeks for some sort of anscer to my problems.

Ok... bit of history and where i'm upto, i own a 2000 Passat 110hp TDI and it all starts with the deisel filler flap,Int lights, central locking playing up so i do some reading up and find the drains are blocked (passenger foot well wet)

So. I pull all the carpets out to find the CCM fairly wet but the worst bit is the Wiring loom, a few of the wires are severed but nearly all of them are rotten, if you move them they brake or the insulation falls off.

Oviously i haven't got to the stage of if the CCM works or not yet but it looks like i'm facing some serious rewiring, Does any one know if the loom that goes to the CCM box is the main body loom or does it brake somewhere (possably buy a new one?? or even buy the plugs/pins for the plugs)

Next, Looking at the state of the loom i'm guessing the CCM is going to be goosed, i have dried it out the best i can and its been living on the house radiator for a week, i took the top off and it doesn't seem corroded or anything but that don't mean allot with electrics, Which brings me to my next question, i read that the CCM is coded to the car but if i buy the same part numbered unit would it not work at all or would it be things like the remote central locking (which doesn't work at the mo)??

I do relise that this must be a well covered subject and it must bug the living daylights out of you seeing it brought up all the time over and over but i would apriciate it if some one who knows a bit more than me about this could point me in the right direction.

Cheers.
Chris

richard@thebrae
18-04-2009, 10:26 AM
VW dealers should carry a wiring repair station with all the pins and pin recepters to fit in the plugs, and so in theory you should get all your spares you need from them.
The reality is much more different enough said.
Read this post :- http://www.headfuzz.co.uk/?q=vw_ccm

Lokk here for spares : http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/stecker4.htm

Buy a box of mixed heat shrinks from Screwfix or Maplin get a multimeter and a good soldering iron, quality solder and flux, take pics or notes for records and go for it .
If the CCM is shot get an exchange from the links on this forum.
IT is not a difficult job just keep a clear head, recoding is not an issue find some one with a vagcom near you through the forum or a good independant
Make sure you have fixed the gasket under ths pollen filter to prevent re-occurrence of the problem, it is more likely to be the source of the leak than bunged up drain holes in the plenum chamber. Good Luck

snapdragon
18-04-2009, 10:40 AM
Water won't damage the type of PCB electronics you would get inside a CCM unless exposed for a long time, it is hard water or water that contains salts/ions getting on electronics while powered up that does the damage as this water is conductive.

Years ago, I worked for a company that restored smoke damaged computers, keyboards, monitors etc... We used to wash/scrub them in hot soapy water in a big restaurant type sink! People used to this it was a crazy sight to behold. The trick was to make sure they were 100% dry before turning back on and well rinsed.

We used to rinse them in tap water and then flush this out with alcohol (because the tap water would leave behind conductive hardness residue) and then dry them in a warm room with fans for at least two weeks.

Sounds like you may be OK fingers crossed.

Grizzly
18-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Cheers for that, i know its sounds soft but with everything i read i was starting to panic.

:beerchug:

I'll let you know how i get on.