PDA

View Full Version : Common Radiator Leak..1.9TDI - Bottom Right Corner.

RickT
17-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Radiator Leak..

Did my Sisters Radiator on her 1.9tdi 2 weeks ago... leaking at the bottom right corner, (other end to the hoses)

And today mine has started leaking in the same place!!

both cars are on 54 plates with 57k miles and 62k miles...

My mate who works for Audi said these are becoming common on the A3 also with the same engine..

Any one else had it?

Rick

GarJE
18-04-2009, 12:02 AM
+1. Didn't change the rad though. Just dumped a small bottle of rad-weld in the expansion tank. It's lasted nearly 10k miles and still holding!

Crasher
18-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Yes, and the left side. Please do not use rad sealants!

GarJE
18-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Here's what I did.

Got the engine warmed up, dropped the smallest bottle of radweld in (it's meant for a volume of half that of the mk5).

After a couple of days. I syphoned out the contents of the expansion tank and replaced with coolant.

I've starteed not to care too much about whether it will sludge up or not. VW clearly weren't worried about longevity when they designed and built this model.

RickT
19-04-2009, 11:04 PM
Yes, and the left side. Please do not use rad sealants!

Thats right!!

Anyhow..

Replaced the radiator on Saturday, (only took an hour, we have done 4 now in total.!!)

it was leaking on the bottom right corner and also looked like it has leaked in the center at some time following the build up of dried coolant.

Rick

Crasher
19-04-2009, 11:07 PM
A taxi company I did seven Octavia 2 services for, all had BKD engines, all had leaking radiators and all had whining turbo’s.

RickT
19-04-2009, 11:32 PM
A taxi company I did seven Octavia 2 services for, all had BKD engines, all had leaking radiators and all had whining turbo’s.

lol...

this is on the BKC unit... but hearing reports its pretty common on the 2.0tdi also.

Rick