PDA

View Full Version : Lumpy tickover

cometa
17-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Hello all, I have a 98 1.9 Audi A4 TDi with 140,000 miles. Very happy with performance and comfort, only issue really is the lumpy tickover. I have just had a general service carried out but this has not cured the problem. The mechanic seems to think it is the fuel pump, he said it's quite common for them to have problems. i have searched extensivley for this problem on the net but can't seem to find it much of an issue, anybody got any ideas?

Thanks

andy good
07-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Hi cometa did you ever find the fault as I have the same problem with my diesel golf and Im looking for clues as to fixing it thanks Andy

cometa
08-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi Andy,

Yes got it sorted, bought a second hand fuel injector pump from www.scrapcarbuyers.co.uk had it fitted and all is well. Tick over good and no black smoke when I boot it! Hope it works for you too, cheers Rob

andy good
08-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks mine has only done 45000 though so im hoping its not that, funny thing is if I put the heated rear window on the idle really improves to almost perfect which is really baffling me at the moment hopefully somebody will be able to point me in the right direction glad your sorted though all the best Andy

hibbsy21
08-04-2012, 03:20 PM
When you say it improves the idle, do you mean the idle speed goes up or down? In any case you might need to adjust the injection values with VCDS

LINKY (http://www.tdiblog.com/tdi-do-it-yourself/adjusting-injection-quantity-vag-com/)

Rich

andy good
08-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi hibbsy it doesnt speed up or slow down it just evens out like a normal tick over should sound, without the heated rear window on it sounds like its missing I also have a lead for the vcds but cannot connect to my laptop as it has windows 7 and apparently I need xp, im not sure on this but thats what ive been told .thanks Andy

hibbsy21
08-04-2012, 05:03 PM
It should work with windows 7. I have been using it with 7 anyway.

If not you can right click on the program and run it in compatability mode. And run it as an XP program.

Failing that, download the newest free VCDS.

Rich

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using Tapatalk

Crasher
08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
It sounds like the Commencement of Injection setting is incorrect.

andy good
09-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks Crasher could this change by itself as it was ok no work done to it then it gradually got worse how do i test this and correct it thanks Andy

Crasher
09-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Yes it will move, especially if you undo the 13-mm headed bolts on the injection pump sprocket. Do you have a copy of VCDS?

andy good
10-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks Crasher i really appreciate your time and expert knowledge, I have downloaded a copy of vcds 11.11.3 but i cant configure the com port as im not sure weather the lead or the program is or isn't compatible with windows seven I will have to do some more research on that Thanks again Andy

Crasher
10-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Where did the lead come from? if it is not a genuine Ross Tech lead then all you will be able to use is a basic version of VCDS Lite.

andy good
11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Thank you Crasher i purchased it from Amazon so its only any good for vcds lite then,is this any good for sorting my problem out or do I need a better version and if so what lead would be suitable from ross tech ?thanks for your help im not too familiar with computers so all your help is much appreciated all the best Andy

Crasher
12-04-2012, 10:59 AM
If you register VCDS Lite with Ross Tech, which will cost you $99, this will just about give you enough functionality but to be honest, full and legal VCDS is the only way to go.

andy good
30-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Just to update you on my problem I couldn't afford the full vcds so was limited with my findings ,but I did notice that the injection quantities were only 0.4 per stroke which was way lower than the recommended 3.4 per stroke so after hours of reading and trying to understand how to do it I managed to increase it to 3.4 using the hammer method on the pump ,it now seems to have solved my problem and seems to be running great ,is there any reason that this could change by itself over time or have I only covered over the real problem?the timing showed 1.3btdc if I remember correctly does this sound as though its within limits? thanks for your help Andy

Crasher
30-04-2012, 11:30 PM
They change with age.