PDA

View Full Version : Pwer Steering Noise

rictic68
16-04-2009, 11:15 PM
I've got an A6 2.7tdi on the 55 Plate. Somedays at low speeds the power steering is quite noisy with a swishing noise at every turn of the wheel. The next day nothing. Is this an indication of something wrong or am I getting paranoid.:confused:

HBA4345
17-04-2009, 06:27 AM
Does the noise sound like it is coming from inside the cabin (from the steering coloumn) or from outside (engine bay)?

Some A6's have a problem with a 'squeaky' steering wheel, where the slip ring is rubbing. Otherwise have you checked fluid levels in the power steering resevoir?

rictic68
23-04-2009, 12:01 AM
Its really difficult to describe. I suppose its more of a swooshing noise with a slight squeaky edge to it. Can't decide if its inside or out but it is only ever at low speed and even then its very intermittent. It does it one week and then not then next. I'll have a look at the power sterring fluid though. Cheers

NickPicks
23-04-2009, 08:33 AM
A lot of A6s (mine included) have a swisshy squeak which is caused by the slip ring between the steering wheel and the steering column.

Mine tends to be worse when it's warmer (I guess that the pad warms up and expands slightly)

Try is with the car parked and the engine running - get someone to turn the wheel whilst you listen to the pas pump (it will make some whirring noise - especially once you get to full lock and keep the wheel turned tightly).

Also try it with the engine off (it's hard work to turn the wheel though) and see if it's still making the noise.

From the noise you describe, I think it might be the steering wheel rather than the pump.

I've had suggestions of:

Remove the steering wheel and lubricate the pad / slip ring
Squirt in some silicone lubricant spray to try and solve it
Spray in some talcum powder to lubricate the rubber pad between the steering wheel and column

I tried the silicone lube, but it didn't make much difference. I haven't bothered with the other methods yet as mine isn't all that loud - I only hear it if the stereo is off or quiet.

rictic68
24-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for that[pp[`

rictic68
24-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for that. After all the hassle I've just had sorting out blown head light bulbs myself I thought the Audi dealer had finally got me with this one. I'll turn the stereo up and forget about it. Cheers

Simert
25-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Seems to be a common fault.

Mine does it too. Intermitant fault.

Is it like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tBqpYmBAaA

My dealer changed the power steering fluid, but this hasn't helped.

All feedback from this and other forums are saying it's a slip ring, which I tend to agree with:

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66249

TamTamster
21-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi
Just watched your video and that's exactly the same as on my 2000 RS4. Did you get it sorted?
Thanks - Matthew

Simert
22-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Hi Matthew,

It's not happened for a while, but I don't think it's sorted.

It's the slip ring, so if yours is still under warranty you may get it replaced FOC.

Mine was under warranty, but the dealer wanted to replace the PAS fluid first, which they've done.

If the noise comes back (usually warm weather) I will take it back and ask for a new slip ring.

Regards.

davington
28-10-2009, 01:12 PM
My 2006 A6 3.0 TDI has just developed this problem, sadly just out of warranty. :mad:

Intermittent "squeaking" noise coming from the steering column when manouvreing at low speed. Some days it happens, some days not. Is this anything I need to worry about or is it not doing any damage? Any idea how big a job it is for a dealer/independent to rectify?

Thanks

MFGF
28-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi,

My last A6 had this on and off throughout the three years I had the car. It was more of an irritation than a problem though. The following thread has a link to Youtube which demonstrates the noise - if yours sounds the same, it's just the slip ring.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=66249&highlight=slip+ring

MF.

JimC64
29-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Hmmmm....looks like I've developed this issue now too.
It can sqeak and be damn annoying and then not so much, or at all, but it does seem to be getting more frequent and perhaps even a little louder.

Does anyone have a rough costing of what this should be to fix?

Thanks

Jim

JimC64
29-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Having done a little research, I wonder if this is at least a temporary if not permanent fix?

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/830860.phtml

Thanks

Jim