PDA

View Full Version : 2002 V5

Ralst999
05-01-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi Folks, new member here. I've recently bought a Golf V5 and am impressed by the speed and handling, however, I have noticed that the brakes squeek in the wet weather.

Anyone else had this problem, just wondering as I have read a review on another site where a guy had the same problem, and put it down to rust on the discs, took it to VW who just cleaned off the rust and gave the car back to him!!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Many thanks

KevinS
07-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Hi

Common problem with the squeaks and it is a result of a compromise between pads that last and brakes that pull up!! The old method was to remove the pads and grind/file a leading edge on the lining material to prevent the corner chattering/squealing on application then clean and lube the pad.
You should be able to get high performance pads that are softer (sintered) that reduce the effect and also reduce the brake dust etc. whether these are available via VAG UK or not I am not so sure, but Bendix, Ferodo etc produce alternate materials that may solve the issue. Try the leading edge trick first :Blush: and refit the pads using a smear of CopperSlip paste on the back of the pad when refitting and make sure all excess dust is cleaned away from the calipers.

Kev (in Oz):beerchug:

KevinS
07-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Hi

Common problem with the squeaks and it is a result of a compromise between pads that last and brakes that pull up!! The old method was to remove the pads and grind/file a leading edge on the lining material to prevent the corner chattering/squealing on application then clean and lube the pad.
You should be able to get high performance pads that are softer (sintered) that reduce the effect and also reduce the brake dust etc. whether these are available via VAG UK or not I am not so sure, but Bendix, Ferodo etc produce alternate materials that may solve the issue. Try the leading edge trick first :Blush: and refit the pads using a smear of CopperSlip paste on the back of the pad when refitting and make sure all excess dust is cleaned away from the calipers.

Kev (in Oz):beerchug:
Posted a possible cure on the forum

Ralst999
09-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Many thanks for the info Kevin, will try it out and let you know!! :beerchug:

Regards from Rainy England!! :Blush: