PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit Cruise & WDP switch

zub-gti
16-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Guys,

I'm considering a MK5 GT TDi 170 and have some questions on the retrofitting of extra's should I not get them with the car;

What is required to install cruise control ?

What is required to install the winter driving program switch ?

Any help, constructive comments and suggestions apprciated.

Z

Ben
16-04-2009, 03:38 PM
there is a guide in the how to regarding the cruise.

Winter driving mode? doesn't that just reduce the torque. I don't have it on my car and i managed.

zub-gti
16-04-2009, 03:45 PM
there is a guide in the how to regarding the cruise. - Thank you excellent - where can i find it ?

Winter driving mode? doesn't that just reduce the torque. I don't have it on my car and i managed. - Do you live in north scotland and go skiing every weekend in the winter ? :o

Thanks,

Z

Teflon
16-04-2009, 04:54 PM
The parts are about £50. Mechanically it is easy to replace the stalk and connect the wiring, then it needs setting up with VAGcom. But my advice is to get a dealer to do the job; the standard price as a dealer-fit accessory was only £150.

Most people report that it is no problem to do but in my (dealer-fit) case it wouldn't work properly and they had to replace some of the CANbus modules. It worked staight away on the wife's car, done at the same time, so it certainly wasn't due to some inept technician. IMHO not worth the hassle of DIY for the cost of an extra hundred at the dealer.

In answer to the questions: 1. Do a forum search for the guide and you will find it 2. Do a forum search for winter driving switch. IIRC you will find that the switch costs peanuts but the software does not enable on UK models. I agree with GolfMk5gttdi - it don't matter where you live, a winter switch isn't going to do anything for you that a gentle left foot can't achieve. Sounds like you need an R32 or a TDi4-Motion.

keithgtsport
17-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi, If you can get a GT sport TDI 170 they have the 'W' as standard and it is very good. The cruise control price can be anything up to £200 well worth ringing a couple of dealers.