PDA

View Full Version : About to buy a used EOS tomorrow....

mr_athletics
16-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Hi all,

I am seriously considering an Eos I have found. Its from a VW dealer - Silver Registered July 2006, 2.0 tfsi, 17" westwoods, black leather, manual, multifunction sterring wheel, 36k on the clock and one owner for 13,995.

I am a little concerned as I hear on the forum and some other sites that in the cars 1st year it suffered from leaks and other issues.
Are there any checks/tests I can do. What should I be looking out for?

I am going to take a look at it tomrrow and if all is well, put a deposit down.

There is also one (also VW dealer) that is April 2007 2.0 tfsi, Silver cloth interior, 17" alloys, DSG, auto, 11k on the clock, £13,998

Which one would you guys sway towards?

Cheers

kenney
16-04-2009, 12:26 PM
None of them:D

mr_athletics
16-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi Ken,

Lol, what makes you say that?!:confused:

kenney
16-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Worst vehicle ever produced from VW

Teflon
16-04-2009, 05:13 PM
If Kenny has owned one, then his opinion must be valid. If not, then ................:o

The roof seal arrangement was changed and improved after all the problems on the early models. Don't know when, but I know of at least one April 2007 model that never lets a drop of water in, even in the worst of downpours. Hint........ it's parked on my drive. :p

My recommendation, don't buy any convertable, from any manufacturer unless you are able to garage it and protect it from the worst of the weather, particularly in winter time when sub-zero temperatures play havoc with seals. And don't buy a diesel. Diesel convertibles are an abomination that right thinking citizens should treat like the spawn of Satan they really are.

Of your two choices, I'd go for the later model. DSG is fantastic and the 2.0t engine is a peach. The westwoods on the other car look better than standard and are much easier to clean, also leather is big plus (especially because it comes with heated seats) and the multifunction steering wheel is great, 'cos you can combine it with a Parrot bluetooth kit. But I'd be worried about possible leaks on the older car. Whichever you pick, lift the carpets in the boot and in front of the rear seats and walk away if there is any sign of moisture.

mr_athletics
16-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Thank you for your reply Teflon. It has been most helpful and puts my mind at ease at little.

They are the same price 14k, the one that is 2007 has 11k on the clock and has DSG is in Glasgow, (I am near Milton Keynes) so a very long trek and it doesnt have leather or multifunction option, so this is holding me back.

The one in Nottingham is a manual, has 36k on the clock has black leather, with Multifuntion and parrot bluetooth installed. Although it is a year older. I think the leather and the multifuntion are clinchers for me so I am going up tomorrow to give it a thorough inspection. I heard somewhere to request that they run a hose over the car and see if there is any water ingress. Bit cheeky but im going to try it.

Regarding the garage...:o its full of junk and needs a clear out really. This will be a good reason to get started!!!

Cheers

JCClem
18-04-2009, 04:25 AM
Just in fact traded my EOS in for a Golf Mk6. I had the car for 2 years (and done hardly any miles because of job change). Mine was a Jan 07 and although garaged I did use the car in heavy rain on many occasions and never had any problems with leaks. One point with the older car if its the 197hp turbo is that early models had a higher CO2 rating (202kg) and therefore fall into a higher tax rating. Another anoyance was the radio, big and flash but short on features - it would not play MP3 files for instance. (again because it was an early model - built in July 06 but registered in Jan 07). These early cars can be spotted as the radio does not have MP3 written above the cd and the dash is black rather than silver. In general I was pleased with the car although the model seemed a bit 'basic' as it was standard sport model. Reliability was excellent and insurance was surprisinly cheap (the same as the 1.4 GT golf I have just bought). Prices are all over the place so its worth shopping around

bobrocket
19-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I got rid of mine due to water in places you wouldn't believe! Open up the roof halfway, look in the little channels where the roof arms come out of, behind where the front seatbelts are. I used to regularly see a few inches of water and a goldfish could have lived in it! Never mind the wet seatbelts and the smell of mould in the boot! It was stripped down and seals changed at least 3 times, to no avail! I even went without it for 3 weeks on one occasion! Not funny and very stressful!! Tyres also wore out EXTREMELY quickly on the front!

Buy a Tiguan! Gorgeous car! And still got the same go in it!! But not cabriolet I suppose! Although you wont experience as much road rage!!

Jandelle
19-04-2009, 10:24 PM
I bought a June 07 Eos a few weeks ago and love it. V6 model. It has 14k on the clock and does not appear to have any signs of water ingress (so far!).