PDA

View Full Version : Please Help The dreaded climate control click

Teflon
16-04-2009, 11:09 AM
My Golf (still under warranty) has suffered since new with a clicking from behind the glove box, related to a control motor on an air flap for the climate control. Only way to get rid of it is to switch off the climate completely. It has been well documented on the forum and appears to be a very common problem. Suggestions are that it might/might not need the dash out and a fix costs about £170.

Here's the question. My (remarkably friendly and not very local) dealer confirms the diagnosis but tells me that it is so common VW forbid them to fix it and I just have to live with it. Is this the case? Does anyone know of any VW documents that confirms the no-fix policy, or even better, a way that I can get it sorted under warranty?

kenney
16-04-2009, 12:29 PM
What a load of bull,go to another workshop,there is no such documentation

Ben
16-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I had this exact issue. And i git it fixed foc on the warranty.

What you need is an ecu update. The climate has its own ecu.

The ticking/clicking is a solenoid pulsing to keep a flap closed / open, It clicking will stop if you get the flap set one way or the other. If i recall correctly, if you get the flaps correct, you will get quite warm.

Ecu update.

Teflon
16-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Many thanks for that. Thinking about it, the heater has never been that mpressive in cold weather, so maybe an ECU update will kill two birds with one stone.

I'll report how I go on.

Mark44
16-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I have just joined this forum to try and get ideas as to why my Seat Altea Climate Control does not want to heat unless it is econ mode!

Anyway I was looking through the Seat owners forum and someone mentioned that you can 'RESET your AC by pressing the ECON button and the manual 'AIR TO CABIN' button for approx 15 seconds.

My Altea has suffered with the clicking noise and the lack of heat issue and my dealer keeps doing a diagnostic and reporting 'no faults found'.

I have just tried the reset this evening and already the AC is reponding more positively than before.

I hope this helps as I believe the ECU is the same for all VAG cars although the button layout obviously differs.

Teflon
29-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Tried the reset option (plus every other possible combination of buttons) but without success. Dealer has now diagonised that it is worth changing several of the actuator motors and will take 1-2 days to do the job. It came out of the factory in that state and has very low miles, so it's pretty disappointing that there's so big a problem.

paul.mgrath
29-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Teflon,

I notice you are from up north, I am from manchester and my car goes to JCT600 in wakefield (50 mile each way) because all the dealers i have used in manchester either can't be bothered or have no customer care - i seem to be doing them a favour giving them 220 quid to change my oil!!!!

If you are in close proximity JCT600 i have found are spot on and fall over themselves to help. My manchester dealer wanted to charge me 90 quid + vat to update my ecu (free upgrade which seems to stop the lumpy idle problem). JCT did it for free

Suggest you give them a call and ask them if there is a no cost ECU update for your car - thats what i did and they just asked for my reg number and checked on the computer - sorted.

Benzev
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
My Golf (still under warranty) has suffered since new with a clicking from behind the glove box, related to a control motor on an air flap for the climate control. Only way to get rid of it is to switch off the climate completely. It has been well documented on the forum and appears to be a very common problem. Suggestions are that it might/might not need the dash out and a fix costs about £170.

Here's the question. My (remarkably friendly and not very local) dealer confirms the diagnosis but tells me that it is so common VW forbid them to fix it and I just have to live with it. Is this the case? Does anyone know of any VW documents that confirms the no-fix policy, or even better, a way that I can get it sorted under warranty?

Here in NZ we still replace these under warranty! I think you'll find your dealer is bullshitting you as VW Germany stills pays out for these claims! And if your vehicle is still under warranty it shouldn't cost you a penny!

kenney
02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Here in NZ we still replace these under warranty! I think you'll find your dealer is bullshitting you as VW Germany stills pays out for these claims! And if your vehicle is still under warranty it shouldn't cost you a penny!I second this statement.If i recall there is an update on the control unit,

tomjj
18-05-2009, 12:11 PM

I've been searching for answers for this months. My Golf does the same.
It's usually only when i've started it from cold and seems to calm down after about 5 mins of driving. Can you conform this is the same for you? If so i'd like to look at getting my ECU updated. Can i just ask for this next time i have a service? What else would if affect?

My sounds more like a knock than a click though but definitely sounds like it is coming from behind the glovebox.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Teflon
22-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the comments and apologies for the delayed replies.

Dealer diagnosed multiple motors problem, booked it in for 1.5 days to do the job then phoned back to say that VW forbid them to do the work. I still need to chase them for a written statement of this in case it ever goes totally fubar.

As for the symptoms, apparently it is "okay for there to be some clicking that goes away once the heating system has warmed up". Woopie doo. Mine clicks whenever it feels like it, hot or cold.

If anyone can give me the number and other details of the recall on the control unit I'd be very grateful.