PDA

View Full Version : Important oil in intercooler help.....

gzza
15-04-2009, 10:31 PM
:zx11:hi .my 02 1.9tdi octavia is loosin vast amounts of oil through th intercooler
and i have lost alot of power .Does any one no wat is causing this.:zx11::zx11:

Crasher
15-04-2009, 10:36 PM
Turbolader ist kapt, as in this one I did last week. This came out of the intercooler.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/oilfromintercooler.jpg

paul b
15-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Turbolader ist kapt, as in this one I did last week. This came out of the intercooler.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/oilfromintercooler.jpg
Reminds me of a certain Skoda of mine... :biglaugh:

Although in my case, it was pouring out of the exhaust. :p

gzza
16-04-2009, 12:21 AM
well mate cheers 4 da:1zhelp:. if put on new turbo and change intercooler will i be solvin my problem

tornadored7
16-04-2009, 01:01 AM
well mate cheers 4 da:1zhelp:. if put on new turbo and change intercooler will i be solvin my problem

In all likelyhood, I'd imagine that you'll only require a new Turbocharger (ein neue turbolader) and perhaps turbo oil pipes (Oelrohre). If there aren't fragments of your old turbo in the current intercooler (ladeluftkuehler), and providing it's still airtight, then following an oil drain and clean up you should be able to reuse your existing intercooler.

Obviously, an oil and oil filter change would also be in order.

However, it shall be interesting to see how this thread progresses ...

Beste Wunsche und Mit Freundlichen Grussen,
Tornadorot Sieben

P.S. (Italics are for Crasher's benefit ;) ).

Crasher
16-04-2009, 09:13 AM
The exhaust was full of oil to the extent I had to remove the catalyst and fill it with TFR to dissolve the oil and then pressure wash it out and still it covered everywhere in smoke, it was so embarrassing when I took it for a run. In the end I came back and put the car on the ramp and set it tilted back slightly. I drilled a 3-mm hole in the lowest part of the back box and drained another litre of oil out and left it to drain over night. I took it for another run and it still smoked and all the time it was running, oil was spraying out of the little hole. I left it on a slope in the car park for two days and eventually it stopped dripping but still smoked when driven but eventually it stopped. I would have fitted a new rear silencer but I was worried about the woman’s bill.

paul b
16-04-2009, 12:08 PM
The exhaust was full of oil to the extent I had to remove the catalyst and fill it with TFR to dissolve the oil and then pressure wash it out and still it covered everywhere in smoke, it was so embarrassing when I took it for a run. In the end I came back and put the car on the ramp and set it tilted back slightly. I drilled a 3-mm hole in the lowest part of the back box and drained another litre of oil out and left it to drain over night. I took it for another run and it still smoked and all the time it was running, oil was spraying out of the little hole. I left it on a slope in the car park for two days and eventually it stopped dripping but still smoked when driven but eventually it stopped. I would have fitted a new rear silencer but I was worried about the woman’s bill.
Was just going to say, it will eventually stop.

Mine was smoking until the day of MOT! :p But a good, Italian tune up along the way, doing nothing but burning excess oil from in the cat did the trick. The smoke died off.

I did replace the back box, despite drilling holes in the old one. I used this time to fit a VRS back box, as Crasher knows. ;)

Oh the fun this Octavia has provided me with! :biglaugh:

Crasher
16-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Mine has been great, since the new engine and turbo. All I have to do at the moment is find the irritating rubber squeak as I turn the wheel when the car warms up-very annoying.