PDA

View Full Version : oil leak!!!!!

nc7503
15-04-2009, 09:25 PM
yes i no im in the golf forum and i own a jetta but its to quiet in that forum! so here goes my car is the 1.9tdi 105ps tonight i took off the engine cover just to have a look as ive only had the car 3weeks and ive noticed thats its leaking oil, now been new to vw this is the hard part on where to explain where its coming from as you look at the engine face on its the top left hand corner,if you leave the cover on its right where the vw badge is. where there is what can only be described as a small round gold disk actuantor??? maybe ? but if you look under this there is fresh oil leaking from under it. ive also got an annoying noise every time i change up the gears sounds like a low groaning noise but this never happens when you change down the gears.any helpon this guys would be a great help.

RickT
15-04-2009, 11:40 PM
The leak will be coming from the EGR valve.. (gold/silver looking round disc.)

What is more concerning is the groaning noise...Does it groan when you just rev it??

if so.. it could be the Turbo bearings which are running dry.. and the oil could be an indication of the start of a turbo failure.

Where did you purchase it from??

My advice to start with would be to clean externally around the EGR and monitor the amount of oil leaking.

Monitor the noise... its hard to advise without hearing it, but if it gets louder or starts to smoke more from the exhaust get it checked.. the last thing you want is the turbo failing and the bearings firing through the engine.

I have pm'ed a member of the forum to look at this thread who knows more about this than i do.

Cheers

Rick

Crasher
16-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Oil leaking from the EGR valve is quite normal but it depends on how bad it is. Would you be able to take a good picture, upload it to a hosting site such as Photobucket or Flika and then post the link?

The noise you are getting changing gear sounds to me like the gearbox failing, it is a depressingly common problem on the Golf 5 1.9 TDI 6 speed.

nc7503
16-04-2009, 10:52 PM
thanks crasher,egr is shall we say pi@@ing out got it booked in at vw tamworth for monday and the clutch is going to be sorted out aswell