PDA

View Full Version : VW Accessory LED DRLs for Scirocco???

Hogwarty
15-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Don't get me wrong. If I felt any more positive about my new car, then it and I would need to get a room. And that may well be a criminal offence(?)

HOWEVER... I've had my 2.0TSI for 6 whole weeks now and I think I've discovered the one and only niggle that'll stay with me for as long as I drive it - no great surprises: it's the (supposed to be) 'daytime running lights'...

Yes, I realise I'm hardly the first to comment, but I just needed to say it - why did VW bother to equip the scirocco with automatic headlights, when the bleedin things are on all the time anyway? And could they really not be bothered making the rear lights stay OFF, like they do on, say the Audi A4?
Rant, blather... more rants, etc. I know some dealers will turn them off and some won't, and that I can switch onto just sidelights. You're no doubt equally familiar.

Here's a thought, as I gaze whistfully out of the patio doors to where my beloved is parked; does anyone reckon VW will produce dealerfit accessory LED DRLs for the 'rocco? I suppose there are aftermarket ones to buy online, but I just wonder if Volkswagen'll bring something out, maybe in 2010 when people might want them retrofitted to other models?

What do you reckon? Is anyone out there, 'in the know'? Any secret agents from Wolfsburg reading this? If you are - sort your cheapskate DRLs out!! :aargh4:

maisbitt
16-04-2009, 08:26 AM
VW are cheapskates, but with their new price rises, they're moving into Audi territory on price. For an £850 price hike on a Scirocco, you'd expect a few extras to sweeten the deal.

I may look to a year old audi as opposed to a brand new VW when it's time to change.

wigit
17-04-2009, 10:57 PM
i've had the drl's disabled on mine since november, my dealer was great and did it for free, all be it some dealers won't do it at all, some want to charge etc etc, can be easliy done through vagcom

autolight function now works a treat, i ended up running the car in the daytime on sidelights before they were turned off

Ravens
22-04-2009, 04:52 PM
I had the supposed daylight driving lights switched off by dealer. They can be switched on again if required. Looking at the new models coming out, they seem to have dedicated daytime front driving lights and no rear lights on. It appears on the 2008 sciroccos all they did was code the computer to ensure the dimmed, side and rear lights are always on. This appears not to have been thought out properly..

maisbitt
23-04-2009, 08:13 AM
If I get my Scirocco in Sept I think i'll have the lights switched off, but if I wait until March 2010, will it be illegal to have these lights switched off?

They go on about the environment, and then make it mandatory to waste energy by keeping lights on in daylight.

At least at the moment, when you see lights on during a nice day, you know that it's either a motorbike or a Volvo.

Ravens
23-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I have been told that all new cars from1/01/2010 must have daytime driving lights as mandatory. If it is British law, dealers will not switch them off.

maisbitt
23-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Maybe it will be mandatory to sell the cars with them on, but not illegal to have them switched off - hope so. I never use the automatic lights function on my Golf as it's way too sensitive. Unless it is a 100% clear, not-a-cloud-in-the-sky kind if day, the side lights are on when in automatic mode - annoying!

taylora
29-04-2009, 12:37 PM
I recall somewhere in the argument about DRL's that they reduce accident rates where someone crosses your right of way by 25%.

Why would anyone not want that and switch them off?

maisbitt
05-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Hogwarty - re that initial comment about getting a room if you were any more positive....

I saw a documentaory last night on a repeat, it was part of a "weird love" series, and featured 2 Americans that were very into cars. These 2 fellas met up to discuss their "love" of cars. One of them (who looked like AC-DC's singer) was caught sneaking out in the middle of the night and having a crafty tug over the other ones Beetle, and generally seemed to be creepily fondling anyone elses car that took his fancy.

Has anyone seen that documentary? It was hilarious.

maisbitt
05-05-2009, 09:00 AM
Getting a Scirocco in 2 weeks after striking a cracking deal for one that is coming in from a "non-allocation". Got £1000 more than the parkers part ex value on my Golf and £990 off list for the car.

How can a 57 plate 170TDI GT Sport Golf 3 door be worth £12000 part ex? It is immaculate (apart from the stone chips) but Parkers says it's worth £10800.

The demand is apparently up (170's quite rare and sought after) and there's not many used cars at my local VW dealer because no one is trading in.

So i'll be getting a GT 2.0TDI in Pewter Grey with parking sensors (already on the car coming in, but could be useful if I have rear passengers blocking the already letterbox-esque rear window. The missus would insist on them to drive the car (and me from the pub!).

So are the daytime DRLs only on the front now for a 2009 model?

What is the capacity of the SD card slot, will it recognise a 4Gb HCSD card?